Perils of Zoom trials : “Your Honour, I am not a cat.”

YouTube link, slightly longer. Opposing counsel at the top of teh image does a really good job keeping his poker face on, but right at the end he starts to grin.

The funniest thing about this is how they all strain to remain professional.

Well, of course. You don’t laugh at your learned friend in court just because he turned into a virtual cat.

The laughter is normally reserved for the drinks at the bar afterwards. Can’t do that in covid-time, of course.

Umm…

The Zoomcat lawyer is funny…

But right there, in the upper left corner, is the disclaimer:

"Recording of this hearing or live stream is prohibited.

Violation may constitute contempt of court and result in a fine of up to $500 and a jail term of up to 180 days."

So, how are we seeing this? Who recorded it and why aren’t they facing contempt charges?

I gotta say, that is a damned good filter. I mean, that guy is a giant kitten (with slightly eerie eyes). He’s not morphing back and forth from “human lawyer” to “giant kitten”; you don’t see a human lawyer kind of flickering or “phasing” into and out of existence… Nope, just a giant (sort of worried looking) kitten, earnestly assuring us he is not, in fact, a cat.

Courtesy of Lowering The Bar:

Thanks!

Pull the other one, Judge, it’s got bells on it.

:blush:

It is a great filter! I laughed at the “ I’m not a cat.” and the judge saying “ I can see that…”. Really? ‘Cause I see a cat.

It’s amazing how much emotion the filter puts into the kitten’s face. The eye movement was enhanced by the filter.

Kids always learn about software settings long before most adults. I guess the last child’s zoom call used the kitten.

Funny stuff. Thanks for posting.

The sad thing is, I could see that happening to me, the techno-peasant lawyer.

I laugh every time I watch when the judge says “I believe you have a filter” and the cat looks down, suddenly worried.

I see why the attorney was confused. The kitten is coming from a Snap Camera filter. You may have to turn it off in that App.

I was curious what it requires to become a kitten.

Zoom has filters like Sepia, adjust for low light etc. Things that enhance your appearance in various lighting.

And we all know how lawyers react to things that sort of dangle or hang down and have bells on them!

An interview with the cat:

Did you panic when your face was a big-eyed cat?

Well, I was just embarrassed. You try to present your best face to the district judge, instead of an image of a cat.

If you were to pick an animal that you would want to use as your filter in court, would it be a cat or would you go with a different animal?

Uh … for today, I’ll stick with a cat.

Do you have any pets at home?

A little dog.

So you wouldn’t want to be a dog in court?

I don’t know. I don’t usually try to portray myself as an animal. This is all new to me.

It also occurred to me that this could tie in with the whole “Lawyer Dog” case (which was kind of funny, but also pretty appalling).

“You want a lawyer dog? Well, with the right Zoom filter, I’m sure we can accommodate your request!”

I guess you could call this “fake mews.”

“Let the record reflect that opposing counsel is playing adorably with a ball of yarn.”

Courtesy of one of my friends, who noted the accent:

One of the bookstore cats in my area is called catticus. I also call my big fat cat catticus upon occasion. Great cat name.

“Objection, Your Honor! Stroking the witness.”