Pet Flea Protection 2024 Edition: Opinions, Good, Bad, and/or Ugly

So, spring is coming, despite multiple remaining freeze warnings here in the Colorado Front range, and I’ve been of multiple minds regarding protection from fleas. My two cats are indoor 95% of the time, but in the last few years, we’ve built an enclosed catio for them during the warm months. It’s about 6-7 feet off the ground, but will the buzzing of the grasshoppers, we’re aware that a non-zero number of insects can and do reach that level.

We did speak to the Vet two months ago, and they left the decision to us - we can get the formulated drops that should provide adequate protection, but didn’t feel it was absolutely needed, and confirmed it as rather pricey.

The internet has a lot to say, about pros, cons, and risks of various drops that you can buy OTC, and even more concerns that the majority of collars do nothing at all.

We even have a 2003 FQ thread about this, but at 21 years removed, and before considering expensive vet and less expensive OTC drops, or buying a flea collar, I figured I solicit opinions. Especially from those who have indoor/outdoor cats and your expectations of efficacy, as compared to our comparatively limited exposure.

Thanks in advance!

I’ve used Advantage II and Catego on our cats and had good results. Prices are around 7-10 per monthly dose. We had one indoor/outdoor cat and (eventually learned that we) had to keep ALL the cats treated to avoid infestation.

Capstar is great to get rid of an existing infestation immediately, but only kills the adult fleas. It’s a pill, so that’s not always fun to administer.

I bought a Seresto collar but never used it, they’re about $50 for 8 month protection. I wouldn’t bother with the cheap flea collars, they’re worse than useless.

We treat all pets with pills. The kennel dogs too.

If the fleas/tick are around it’s the only way.
Simparica Trio for all dogs.
Bravecto for the cats.

We used to flea control with poison stuff(?) my husband sprayed the yard and grounds with.
I decided when the grandbabies were being born it was probably not safe. Never was. I didn’t want kids into it.

The pills aren’t cheap. But boy they work. It’s worth the money. All the Adams spray and collars or pet armor you can buy will not equal what that pill will do.

OTOH if you have 3 fleas a season it may not be worth it to you.
Around here if you have multiple pets, you have multiple chances that infestation will happen. Now, that could be expensive if they take over you and your house.

Do the pill, is my advice.

Some of those products (e.g., Bravecto) are available as a topical solution that comes in an applicator. In fact, I think you are not supposed to give Bravecto pills to cats; those are for dogs. (And always double-check the dosage, etc.)

• Comes into thread to find out what kind of protection one needs for one’s pet fleas and why •

Oh!

Nevvv-er mind!

Yes. Bravecto is a dropper thingy for Cats.

I should have said, “Do the prescription flea and tick medications.”

I’ve always used Sentinel for dogs, which I believe is prescription-only and was provided by my vet.

I like Cheristin for cats, and it doesn’t need a prescription. I get it through Chewy or Petsmart.

My only caveat for the topicals is to put it higher on a cat than you would a dog. They can lick between their shoulder blades, so I generally dose them quite high on the back of the neck.

I came in here hoping for someone to have made that (admittedly awful) joke, and am not disappoint.

I use Capaction (nitenpyram) pills (or some other equivalent brand from Amazon) once a month. They work great.

I used to use flea drops every month as well, using the drps on the 1st week of the month and the drops on the 3rd week of the month. I stopped using the drops regularly when I noticed they dissolved the reflective strip on my cat’s collar every month. Also I hated the smell. The fleas haven’t been a problem without the drops, though I’m open to using them again if needed (removing the cat’s collar for a couple days).

I second this. We’ve used Frontline and Advantage drops, but they’ve lost efficacy around here at least. The vet says the fleas developed resistance. (I’m aware that it’s in their financial interest to say that, but it also jibes with my experience.)

So now we use the expensive vet Rx stuff, which really works.

Not necessarily the vet making bank. Unless he requires many blood tests. Which maybe necessary for other reasons. But once a year for the prescription is plenty, in my book.
The company that produces these drugs are making a killing, killing pests on pets.
I’m not willing to live with the bugs, so I pay. YMMV

We put Revolution on our cats. It’s monthly. The Bravecto lasts longer but it prices out roughly the same if my math is correct, about $20-$30/dose depending on where you buy it from. My cats don’t go outside but are regularly exposed to outside cats who come to our screened windows to commune. 2/3 of our cats were brought in from the yard so they are probably related one way or another to most or all of the outdoor cats.

I also agree with Bravecto. I’ve been administering it for about 2 years and have never seen a flea.