Petition launched to name new element "Octarine"

In honor of the late Sir Terry.

I promise not to let it get to my head . . . :wink:

Seems like octiron would be more relevant.

Sounds like a breakfast drink.

I still think I should name it after Lemmy from Motorhead.

Octarine is a color in the discworld universe, not an element. And anyway to fit other naming conventions it should be Octarinium - Not Octarine.

I agree with Channing Idaho Banks - Lemmium is much more fitting since the new elements are Heavy metals. And anyway Lemmy’s pettition has 83,000 vs 12,000 for Octarine.

The idea is that it fits the naming pattern of all the other halogens: Fluorine, chlorine, bromine, iodine, and astatine.

I, for one, plan to start a petition to rename one or more of erbium (Er), terbium (Tb), ytterbium (Yb) or yttrium (Y). It’s not fair to have four elements named after some pissant town in Sweden.

Considering I use Octarine as my screen name everywhere else online except here I heartily approve of this!

Or Octarinefire.

Or an 8-sided fruit related to the peach.

I’m the hugest Pratchett fan I know, but I think this is a dumb idea. Partly for the reason Troy McClure gave, partly because it’s gimmicky, and Pterry was never gimmicky.

From what I read it’s maybe a metalloid? Kind of milquetoast to name after Lemmy unless it’s a true heavy metal. I’m holding out for Dioium.

Wait though, they want to give an oct- prefix to element 117? :dubious: Wouldn’t renaming ununoctium be a better idea?

Did you ask a scientician?

Careful, there. You mean a “7 plus 1”-sided fruit, don’t you?