Pets on the furniture. What are your house rules?

I think the pugs would die if they weren’t allowed on the couch and the bed. Seriously. To my pugs, a couch is as essential as water.

Great Dane is not allowed in kitchen, on bed or other furniture, with the exception of her futon. She is bathed weekly, or when stinky. Two cats in the house are not allowed on counters, tables or any hard surface that might come in contact with my sandwich, but I am quite certain they tap dance all over my pristine countertops the moment my car leaves the driveway. All hard surfaces get a total wipe down with a bleach solution before every meal, and I vacuum my small house (hardwood floors or tile throughout) nearly every day with a very expensive machine. I also warn everyone who enters that a cat and dog are present, and if visitors have allergies or qualms about eating food prepared in a kitchen with pets present, I understand completely, and don’t push food or subsequent visits on wary guests.

(I pause for dramatic shrug here.)

Here’s the thing. I get my groceries in a shopping cart, and the morning show experts swear that there is more fecal matter on the cart than on my toilet seat at home. I understand that there is a metric ton of dust mites in my mattress, pillows, and bedclothes. My favorite breakfast cereal contains a limited but unavoidable amount of insect parts. A tiny mite holds onto the other end of each one of my eyelashes, staph thrives under my nails, etc etc ad nauseum. *(and how!) *

I *do not * enjoy laying a piece of freshly buttered toast where my cat had her naked pink butt hole just minutes before, but a quick disinfecting is no big deal. The rest of the creepy, disgusting minutia feasting on both our necessaries and our personal landscapes are far more worrisome to me than a little cat hair or dog slobber.

None of us is a single organism. Life: is gross.

(another shrug)

My dog is allowed on any bed I’m on, as long as I’m also on the bed… so when I’m in another room or on the desk chair, my dog cannot stay on the bed. She also sleeps some nights with me.

She’s not allowed on any other bed nor couch.

My cat found that she had no slide control when leaping up to the kitchen table or countertop as a kitten, so rather than face the undignified skid/scrabble/crash she regally ignores those surfaces.

Beds, couches and chairs are fine, in fact her favorite spot is near the ceiling on the top of my bedroom armoire.

I don’t currently have a dog, but grew up with small breeds that were always welcomed everywhere. It’s not like the pet hair on the floor doesn’t waft around and get everywhere anyway.

We have Newfoundland dogs, and they are allowed anywhere they want to go. We have all leather sofas, for the drool problem. Angus can no longer get up on the bed but when he was younger, he might sleep with us for part of the night.

He prefers the “good couch for company” in the living room! :smiley:

My cats are allowed on the couch (as the cat hair can attest) and I let them sleep on the bed as lonbg as they remain on the quilt, not on the sheets. I’ve never had a problem with them jumping on counters, I think 'cause I don’t eat meat and never have anything exciting up there.

My cats aren’t allowed on the kitchen counters or table and originally they weren’t allowed on the bathroom counter either. Fortunately for them, I proved relatively easy to retrain and they now own the bathroom surfaces.

When I have custody of the Fritters Cat (my parents, boyfriend and I all share her on a rotating basis), she can go anywhere. I don’t honestly mind if she’s on the countertop, kitchen or dining room table, sofa, bed, chair, etc. My parents don’t allow her on tables or counters. Neither does my boyfriend, but as a few others have said, who the hell knows what she does when we’re not there? Nobody seems too worried, though. We all know that in the end, THE CAT RULES. :smiley:

We have one inside dog, and he is not allowed on the furniture or in any beds. He’s rather large (for a Chocolate Lab) so fitting on the couch might be problematic. He’s now to old to jump up anyway. He is a very well mannered dog - even if you leave a plate with leftover food on the coffee table, he will not touch it. Good dog. :slight_smile:

After he passes, we have decided: no more inside animals EVER. (we’re getting old too ! :stuck_out_tongue: )

Honey is allowed on both of the couches. She has her own armchair in the computer room, which is set up right next to the window to allow for ease of access to the sill. She sleeps on our bed with us and will occasionally hide under the kitchen table on one of the chairs, but I’ve never seen her on the table itself, nor on any of our benches. Occasionally she will get inside the potsnpans cupboard, but even that’s stopped since the mice stopped getting in.

Our dog was allowed on the couches and the bed, and if we got another I can’t see myself stopping it from getting up there with us. Even if it is a Great Dane, I’m just a sucker for a warm fuzzy laphugger.

Our little dog pretty much gets on whatever piece of furniture he wants to.

Our big dog has never been able to get on furniture anyway (bad hips), so it’s not an issue. The little dog used to get up on the love seat while we were out, but she seems to have stopped doing that. She can’t make it up to the bed, so that’s good.

The cat, of course, goes everywhere, although she’s sneaky about getting on the counters - she won’t do it when we can see her. She tried it one time when I was making tuna salad, but I chased her off, and she seemed to figure it out from that. However, I have photos of her on top of the wall cabinets, and I know she can’t jump that high, so she has climbed behind my back. The sneak. She also makes herself comfy on my pillow, whether I’m there or not, and lately the dining room table has become a favorite.

What’s up with cats being allowed on the furniture but not dogs in dual species homes? I don’t understand the difference. My dog is allowed everywhere (except counters and tables) and usually sleeps under the covers with me.

We generally try to keep the dogs off the table, and the kitchen counter. (And the cats, too, if there’s people food on it.)

Buddy the beagle sleeps wherever he wants when I’m around. When Mr. Pundit is around, he’s not allowed on the couch. It’s kind of funny to see him sigh and get down from the couch when he hears my husband’s car door slam.

We have two cats and two ~60lb~ dogs. Usually one or sometimes both dogs will sleep with us.

Or sometimes, they will just lounge on their own.

I’ve always been a pets are allowed on furniture (with some exceptions) person. The exclusions, when we had them, were more often for certain rooms, rather than certain pieces of furniture.

The last time I lived with pets, it was in a house with a great dane, an aussie, and a tomcat. I have a twin bed, and they alll liked to lie down in bed with me. Which was nice and toasty in winter.

My puppy can go anywhere she wants. Actually, that is almost true. She sleeps in the bed, on the couch, wherever, but she is not allowed in the crib, or on the changing table. Other than that, it’s no big deal.

Brendon Small

The 'Nenna-dog is allowed up on the bed, the papasan chair, and occasionally the leather chaise-lounge. Otherwise she must stay off the rest of the furniture. This is met with mixed results, so we leave a guitar out on the sofas while we are at work.

When we had three big dogs at the same time that sort of rule was a necessity because if the dogs all wanted up, there’d be no room for us people. Those of you with large beds/more furniture/small dogs may have a different experience…