Phantom TV Actors: In Title Credits But Not In Show

Sidney Clute from Cagney & Lacey. He died in 1985, but according to imdb:

Bea Benederet remained in the credits for Petticoat Junction in 1967-68 even though she was unable to do the show due to illness (lung cancer, which eventually killed her). She would try to come back from time to time, but was too sick to continue.

How about Renee Estevez, who appears in the credits of The West Wing? Her character’s name is Nancy. She seems to only have a few speaking lines per season. She’s a bringer of coffee and notes- the only way I know her names is because of the choruses of “Thanks, Nancy!” that follow her offscreen.

…umm… Really? They’d change the credits with the season…but I just can’t believe they changed it by episode.

In the early 1970s the “CBS Evening News” would have an announcer say “CBS Evening News with Walter Cronkite” and then say the namesr of the reporters who would have stories that night.

Is this a whoosh?

Lorraine Bracco is in the credits for all Soprano’s episodes, though she doesn’t appear in all of them.

She’s in the listed name credits, but not in the opening credit montage. This is on par with all of the other actresses who played “assistants” like Carol (CJ’s assistant), Margaret (Leo’s assistant) and even Mrs. Landingham. And they were only in the listed name for the episodes in which they actually appear; Nancy was almost always in the background and rarely said more than “thank you, Mr. President” or words to that effect, but if you heard her voice or saw her in the outer office of the Oval, she was listed.

Of course, it didn’t hurt that Estevez is a certain someone’s daughter…

If you have a line, you HAVE to be credited.

I didn’t watch the show, but I can believe it since they did this sometimes in the later seasons of Charmed on the same network.

Not true.

Here’s a cite

Right, but Harris Yulin asked to not be credited because his name would have to share screen space with someone else. Do you think that’s the case with Martin Sheen’s daughter? No, she’s going to follow the standard rules of “you speak, we credit.”

“Like sands through the hourglasss, so are The Days of Our Lives. This is Macdonald Cary, and these are the days of our lives.”

Cary was dead for over a year before his name was edited out of that beginning statement.