Philip Glass is quite annoying.

I just saw The Hours, and I saw Koyaanisqatsi a few weeks ago. He seems to pick three or four notes, repeat them in a fairly uncreative sequence, ad nauseum, then change one note very subtly and repeat the whole process. When I had no idea what was happening during Koyaanisqatsi (i.e. throughout the movie), I would just listen to the music, trying to guess what type of chord it was. (“Hm. I think that’s a minor chord, 2nd inversion…”) In The Hours, it was usually just distraction from the plot, and the only thing I didn’t like in an otherwise wonderful movie. Reminds me of the music in Signs, which was, surprisingly (at least to me), not by Glass. Anyone else dislike Philip Glass?

Nah, you just don’t get his music. Try his operas, Satyagraha or Akhenaten, they’re smeggin’ brilliant.

Knock knock!

Who’s there?

Knock knock!

Who’s there?

Knock knock!

Who’s there?

Knock knock!

Who’s there?

Knock knock!

Who’s there?

Knock knock!

Who’s there?

Knock knock!

Who’s there?

Knock knock!

Who’s there?

Knock knock!

Who’s there?

Philip Glass.

Oh, Walloon, I love it!!

I like the album Glassworks* best, I think. I find it mesmerizing and seductive. It is easy to focus on the patterns and concentrate, so when there is a shift, it is almost like being taken to a deeper level.

I put the music on to share with a friend and she almost went beserk. Couldn’t stand it! It just did something to her mentally and shot her nerves. I’m not kidding.

Philip Glass is elevator music for pseudointellectuals.