Philip Seymour Hoffman has died.

Whoa. That is shocking.

CNN.com confirms the story: http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/02/showbiz/philip-seymour-hoffman-obit/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

What a shame. A very, very talented actor with considerable range and a lot of good films still to make.

I loved this man’s work. He was an incredible actor who was memorable in every role he performed. Thinking of him in Boogie Nights and The Big Lebowski brings a smile to my face.

I am sad he is gone.

Incredibly sad. A very talented actor. He was someone who always made any film he was in worth watching, if just for his scenes. Far too young.

PSH was one of the few actors (along with Streep, Foster, and maybe a couple others) who could actually get me to watch a movie I normally never would have watched, just because he was in it. The one where he played a teacher who got involved with a young student, he was just phenomenal in it. The one where he was some director doing a big project recreating his life on camera was interesting and a bit boring, but he was also fantastic in it.

Very sad to know he’s gone.

As others have said - geez!!! who expected news like this ??
He was one Hell of an actor. I didn’t see all of his films but thinking about his work in
• The Big Lebowski
• Capote and
• Before the Devil Knows You’re Dead
shows his astounding versatility.
Sad that he’s gone.

RIP Phil

Heroin is the worst.

Holy crap. I remember first seeing him in Scent of a Woman, and he just kept getting better. All the time. He will be missed.

Now I have to watch The Talented Mr. Ripley again.

I heard a few minutes ago that Part 1 just wrapped, and TPTB haven’t decided what to do about part 2. I’m sure they’ll find a replacement.

Drug addiction is such a horrible disease. BTW, whenever an addict is found dead with a needle in their arm, they probably didn’t die from an overdose. They probably died from an anaphylactic reaction to something the drug was cut with.

p.s. I first became aware of him (that I can recall) when he played Truman Capote. He was absolutely brilliant. He did a great job in “The Master” too, although that movie was otherwise not very good.

I don’t really fawn over movie stars but aside from Edward Norton, PSH was my dude to see. Like Drew, he could get me to check out a movie just on his name.

Huge, huge loss. I know he had at least one kid, too. So sad.

Wow, I had no idea he had a drug problem. He was an incredible actor. Probably one of the best from the last 15 or so years, IMO.

Just goes to show you can have fame and fortune, and yet still not be entirely happy and resort to drugs.

RIP

He had 3 kids apparently

I think there are peopl who can’t handle things going well. It’s tragic that this is how that urge expressed itself.

I really liked him in The Big Lebowski.

So sad. :frowning:

the oldest is 11ish, with 2 younger. so sad for them. he and his so have been together since '99.

One of the greatest actors of our age. Despite having striking features, he could immerse himself in a role so that he was nearly unrecognizable. Fucking drugs and the fuckers who supply them. Success is never enough for an addict. What a terrible loss for us all.

Oh damn. I loved him in so many films. He was great in Charlie Wilson’s War… the bugged bottle of bourbon. Damn.

Not expected. Sad - he was wonderful.

I wonder how many different ways this will be explored and exploited in the media. He was very well networked and loved across a number of creative communities…