Phonetic transcription of a Dutch surname

Schouwenberg.

I know, more or less, how it’s pronounced, but need the IPA version.

Anyone able to help?

I think this is it: sɣauʋənbɛrɣ

Why do you ask?

Thanks, that looks OK to me. I ask because it’s the easiest way to communicate to my remote colleagues how to pronounce the name so they can transliterate it into non-Latin script.

I really don’t have a clue what this pronunciation description is, but I do remember a little of my college Dutch.

The “Sch…” sound in Dutch produces a sound we don’t use in English. It’s an ‘s’ sound followed by raspy, gutteral, phlegm-like sound. :slight_smile: The best description I can think of is this. You know the exagerated sounds someone makes when they “hawk a lugee” (sp?)? It’s the: kkkkwwwwiiiick, ptui! sound. The gutteral, back-of-the-throat sound you make at the beginning of the “kkkwwwiiick” is how you would pronounce the “ch”.

The “Sch…” combination I always found difficult to make. The ‘s’ sound is made at the front of the mouth, followed immediately by the gutteral sound from the back of the mouth/throat.

Oh yeah, I also remeber that a “w” in Dutch is pronounced like a soft “v” in English. (A ‘v’ in Dutch is pronounced more like an ‘f’ in English).

So, does that pronunciation description above take these pronunciations into account?

Longwindedly, :slight_smile:
J.

well, yeah. There’s a separate sign for the Dutch w, so that’s covered, and the fact that the w is in between vowels does not necessitate a separate pronunciation.

As far as ‘sch’ is concerned, I’m sure it’s pretty difficult but I believe that phonetically, it’s not different from a ‘s’ and a ‘ch’ sound pronounced in sequence, so there’s no need to write it other than this.

There is one thing that puzzles me, which is that wikipedia says we have a voiced and unvoiced ‘ch’ sound. Now I know what that means, the difference between s/z, v/f, b/p, this/thing, etc. We have this distinction in Dutch as well (except for the th/th thing - we have neither of those sounds). But I can’t for the life of me figure out how this difference sounds for ‘ch’. The ‘g’ at the end of Schouwenberg has to be unvoiced because Dutch words can’t end in a voiced sound; apparently, the ‘ch’ in Schouwenberg is also unvoiced, because it’s a ‘ch’. So that means that technically, both ɣs need to be replaced by xs. See also here. But again, I can’t tell the difference (and neither can the dutch version of this wikipedia page) so I’m really not very sure that there is one.