Phrases/terms that aggravate the hell out of you

Can we throw in “girly bits” and “privates” as well?

Also, can we refrain from proclaiming that someone “won” a thread?

I heartily agree! In fact, I proclaim Mean_Mr.Mustard the… oh, ah umm, the runner-up of this thread.

Regrets,
digs
(who won the internet once, and all it took was a lowly comment here in The Pit)

Kind of by definition, aren’t all the comments in The Pit low?

How are we about jiggly bits?

Hooha?

I’ve actually “won” a thread once as well; don’t think I’ve ever won the internet.

Still waiting for my prize money/certificate/trophy.

mmm

“The cheque is in the mail.”

That was my dad’s most aggravating phrase… he worked for a lender, and he always said that if people just admitted they didn’t have the money right now, he’d have given them an extension.

But once they said “Oh, the cheque’s in the mail.” or “I TOLD my admin to send that payment! They’re off today, but Monday morning I’ll find out what they did with it.” Then he’d start the clock on punitive financial penalties.

Pfft! I win every thread I’m in.

Of course “wellness” was coined as a parellelism to “illness”. A state of being well/ill. So not an insane idea to begin with.

Or as a wannabe comic I used to work with had it:

Dont’ worry, the check’s in your mouth.

:slight_smile:

“Revert back” is something I hear often. Makes my nostrils flare.

“with all due respect”
Oh, dear. I use that one fairly often–to preface a statement that varies greatly from that of someone i do, indeed, have considerable respect for.

Yeah, I like to “revert forward” sometimes. :grinning:

However, happy-go-lucky descriptivists might argue that the redundancy serves as a form of emphasis and is thus harmless and even – God help us – not wrong. At least it isn’t blatantly contradictory, like double negatives or the deplorably contrarian use of “literally” as a meaningless emphasizing filler. Also the dreaded “I could care less”. I’m sure it’s just a matter of time before we are treated to “I literally could care less”.

I literally couldn’t care less.

I know it’s a bit late, but the whole “Ask” thing steams me. “What’s the ask?” or “It’s a big ask” or whatever variation of it can just as easily be replaced with “request” or “demand”, depending on how insistent it is.

I generally make a point of NOT using “ask” like that, nor do I use the term “leverage” as a verb either. Both are the worst of 21st century business-speak and make communication worse more often than they improve it.

“Black Friday”. It’s a marketing invention, not a holiday.

I would agree with you if “health” was coined as a parallelism to “illth” :grinning:

I think you mean woundth.

Two different things really. Health is typically meant to mean an absence of disease/illness. Wellness is more of an ongoing state/process of getting more healthy/more well/feeling better than the baseline of not being unhealthy.

Of course, wellness tends more toward the woo, and less toward medical science in today’s world.

In the wake of the Boston Marathon bombing, the people of Boston came together and worked to bring some normalcy back to life as a Bostonian. I do not, at the time, begrudge them the slogan “Boston Strong.”

Tragically, the slogan was too catchy, too pithy, too good to not get hijacked by everybody who went through anything inconvenient enough to get mentioned on the network evening news broadcast. So now it’s a trite little bromide that gets repeated ad nauseum.

We’re still doing our jobs in the USPS, so in between PSA’s and tutorials reminding us how to wash our hands, we get video pep talks from the PMG calling us “Postal Strong.”

:rolleyes:

Yikes. Here’s hoping that when DeJoy goes, that goes, too.

But you’re certainly right that the “______ Strong” construction has been hijacked by many causes less worthy than the ‘Boston after the bombing’ original. It’s at least mildly annoying.

Why can’t they just say “yes?” Why does it have to be “absolutely?”

So often we don’t see “price.” Those who want to sound important and to hear themselves talk now say “price point.”