Phrases/terms that aggravate the hell out of you

I don’t know why you think you’d be labeled. Are you the party using the phrase, or not using it, to uniformed military personnel, or persons you otherwise learn are serving or have served? My opinion is that few who are eligible to have this phrase, or something similar, spoken to them are expecting it, or demanding it, or feeling entitled to it.

It falls in roughly the same general category as calling someone in military service (or similar career paths, such as police officer or firefighter) a hero. Anecdotal, but my understanding is that most such would reject such an assessment of themselves. I’ve run across many examples of ‘I’m no hero.’ I’d be willing to bet that many of those could tell you about someone they did consider a hero – say, a buddy who didn’t make it back.

Sorry for the length; obviously, it’s a personal peeve of mine. Full disclosure: I’m an Air Force veteran, 20 years, now retired. Most of that time I was an air traffic controller. I served in Operation Desert Shield/Storm (the first Gulf war). The only time I ended up saving a life (possibly) was in the normal course of my duties, at a stateside base. A civilian plane was low on fuel, in very bad weather, needing guidance to a nearby civilian airport. Long story short (too late!), I got the pilot down on the military base (something not normally done). After-report said the amount of fuel in his tanks was ‘immeasurable.’ Did I save his life? Maybe. Did I extend extraordinary measures to do so? Not really; the procedures were already there, ready to be used. Was I a hero? I’d vehemently deny it every time. Now, if you asked that civilian pilot…

Final point: if you never use the phrase again, no one is likely to give it any thought. IMO, anyone who might resent not receiving it never deserved it in the first place.

“With all due respect.”

In my experience (I have several retired Marine buddies and several retired Army buddies (about an even mix of officer and NCO), and they all look either uncomfortable as hell, or come out with some sort of gracious, but canned-sounding response when someone thanks them for their service.

And my grandfather (a USAAF combat vet in WWII) was firmly of the opinion that he was just doing his job and what needed to be done, and that there wasn’t any thanking needed.

So I’ve never gone around thanking anyone- I’m respectful of their service, and often curious enough to ask about it, but I’m not about to lay any sort of cheesy “thank you for your service” on them.

Most abbreviations and acronyms

Using “like” every other word (this happens a lot even in the mainstream TV media)

“Like, um, really” - why would you type that out? I can see someone getting stuck on a word and saying “um”, but to type it out – you need to be canceled from the internet.

“CIS”-anything in the context of cisgender. I get what it is, why it is used, etc. I just find it obnoxious and an exceedingly pretentious term used many times when it is completely unnecessary. You do not have to signal to me how woke you are by referring to your brother as cis-male. His name is Tim and he is 7. That is sufficient for 99% of most casual conversations.

I’m surprised a 7 yo would have a sibling young enough to be using terms as fancy as “cis-male” fancy. I’d picture the 7 yo’s sibling using terms more like “poopy-head”.

I was creating an example of adults using the term in situations where it really wasn’t appropriate to the context of a conversation. But fair point, I could have worded that better. :slight_smile:

Whenever I hear that one I want to channel Elwood P. Dowd, and ask, “How much respect would that be, exactly?”

In the legal world, that’s the equivalent of “criticise the post, not the poster.”

I use it, and “respectfully”, as an indication that I need to disagree with a suggestion from the judge:

“With all due respect, My Lord, I would suggest that the applicable legal principle is rather that …”

Well, I was in the navy and I’ve heard it used for the last 40 years (sort of useful to avoid collisions at sea etc) :grinning:

• Wellness (after all it’s just health)
  • Pricepoint (wtf is that besides “price”?)
  • the verb “gift” (yes I know it’s an old verb but it’s still bloody annoying)
  • hangry

In our scout troop, I started the unofficial “Noticing What the Hell is Going On Right Next To You” Merit Badge.

Congrats

Delish

Yummers

Nom nom

Scritches

I laughed!

Vajayjay - If you’re old enough to be talking about it, you’re old enough to use the real word.

:arrow_up: :arrow_up: :arrow_up: You have this right.

And there’s no social context I can think of where the one word would be OK but the other would not be.

Maybe on a cable-TV or streaming-only sitcom said for laughs, but that’s about it. I’m not sure either word would get out over the air over the objections of the sponsors, if not the FCC.

Wellness always sounds creepy to me. I expect someone to say “Your wellness is important” right before they put me on the spaceship to send me back to their planet as food.

LOL or the King of the Water Table - his royal wellness.

But really it’s like inventing the word “warmness” when “warmth” already exists.

Merch