Pick which of these three elements is or should be highest priority

Quality all the way. This is the one out of three that I will not forgive for failure to provide it.

Random fact: the fancy word for a three-way tradeoff is a “trilemma.” Isn’t that just a fun word? Trilemma.

Okay, I will. I don’t even know what class of thing I’m supposed to apply my values to. People? Consumable goods? Durable goods? Services?

As drewder points out, there is a well known concept of a project management triangle that refers to time, scope and cost and the balance between them. Fast, good and cheap. Pick any two. But your question isn’t even addressing two thirds of the triangle. Punctual isn’t necessarily fast and quantity doesn’t necessarily relate to price.

An ideal project will place equal importance on all three corners. We want the best results in the soonest time possible at a reasonable cost. This ideal project will have two points assigned to each corner. If you prioritize one corner, the point you add has to come from one of the other corners, which is then compromised. Prioritizing two corners or highly prioritizing one corner means you spent all 6 points, so the third corner is sacrificed.

Let’s take this out of project management, which I’m sure you would have mentioned if that was your motivation in posting this poll. Let’s apply it to a real world example. Fast, good and cheap versus quality, quantity and punctuality.

A couple of years ago, I decided to buy a desk. I wanted a high quality, large hardwood desk with ample drawer space. Anything I found locally that met my quality requirements was significantly more than I wanted to spend, so I went online and found a seller in Ohio, hundreds of miles away from me, who sold Amish handmade desks, built to order. Delivery time was 2-3 months. Ten weeks later, I took delivery of my new desk. It was less than half the price of the least expensive local option I was considering and better quality.

I wanted a high quality desk at a reasonable price and I was willing to wait three months. Here’s the breakdown of my priorities for this purchase on the six point scale:

Fast: 0
Good: 4
Cheap: 2

Under your triangle of quantity, quality and punctuality, if I keep my quality requirement at four, I have nowhere to use my remaining two points. I don’t want more than one desk. The delivery was not fast, but it was delivered in the agreed upon time, so it was punctual.

I have to ask. What was your motivation in posting this poll? Is there any basis of curiosity behind it or did you just decide to post a poll with some choices to a hypothetical situation that you didn’t even bother to create for no reason at all?

Quality. Pretty much always quality.

Quality, because if it’s poor quality, it’s not made better by being on time, and/or abundant.

Whereas if it’s high quality, it’s worth waiting for, and/or still worth having even if rare.

Without context? While I was blithering incoherently, the person with the gun would give up and pull the trigger. Guess punctuality was the most important in that context. :wink:

Ok, in that situation it doesn’t work well, but it’s perfectly applicable to, say, a restaurant situation, where quality, quantity, and punctuality, are all normally used to evaluate a product. On your six-point scale, I would go 4 quality, and 1 for the other two. I don’t care about slow service, and I don’t care too much about portion size.

“Trilemma”- a quality word, and punctual enough, coming in at post #22 and barely 3 hours after the consulting triangle was mentioned.

At 9 letters and 3 syllables, though. :dubious: Not really very copious… I mean plentiful… I mean plenteous… Okay, it is pretty good in quantity. Maybe you broke the triangle with that one. :slight_smile:

Gun to my head? I’m probably most worried about quantity…of bullets.

I work in manufacturing (semiconductor). If a single defect makes it to our customer, it has the potential to cost us hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of dollars. So “quality” over quantity or punctuality is hardwired into my brain.

Punctuality is a very close second though, as that can be very costly too if you shut down a customers production line.

I’d be much more worried about the punctuality. Maybe the shooter is a chronic procrastinator and you’ll have a chance to run away before he gets around to pulling the trigger. :slight_smile:

Quality.

Unless in the specific instance of things designed to be low quality, like McDonald’s, or Top Ramen. Then either quantity (in Top Ramen’s case) or punctuality (in McDonald’s). Though really, in both of those cases, “cheap” is the top priority.

I’m unconvinced punctuality is actually all that important, but McDonald’s, et al, have made it their mission. “My favorite thing about deadlines is the whooshing sound they make when they fly by” – Douglas Adams

In many situations, I’d rather have nothing at all than a low quality item. Food, movies, and music are all examples here. Punctuality and quantity are obviously irrelevant in that case.

Had the OP specified that hypothetical, I would have no complaint. Had the poll options been the standard choices of the well known problem, it would still be kind of meaningless without context, but I wouldn’t have bitched about the poll. What we actually got? Imagine this question being posed as a real attempt to start a conversation between a group of people at a social gathering.

“I have a loaded gun pointed at your head. Quantity, quality or punctuality. Pick one or I shoot you. I’m not going to give you any context or explain my motivation in asking. Choose.”

You know what? If it will end this conversation, just put the fucking bullet in my brain.

I am very much an admirer of Punctuality. People who are late a lot really frustrate me.

Quantity doesn’t really interest me most of the time, though being shorted something is irritating.

So I pick Quality, because that seems to be all-round important, if not always crucial, in every walk of life.

You know what? There’s an easier way. Don’t participate in the thread.

Anything is worthless if it’s so late that it never arrives, or so rare that there’s none of it, or so low quality that it doesn’t work at all. How bad a lack of any element is depends on how close it is to that worst-case situation, and there’s no relative metric specified.

Prioritizing one element does not necessarily imply other elements are worthless.

In other words, the entire conversation is meaningless without context. I couldn’t agree more.

Then please make up one that is important to you. Kindly cease what can now only be described as thread-shitting.

I disagree, in any case, with your assertion. Plenty of folks in this thread have enjoyed discussioning it abstractly, or coming up with their own contexts if needed.