Pickled Pork.....got any good recipes?

At the market today pickled pork was on special, so I bought a chunk of it…but I’ve never actually cooked pickled pork before, and I have no idea what to cook it with. :smack:

So, got any recipe suggestions for me?

I think this one works well for damn near any meat/egg pickling. Beware of the chili pepper you use. Don’t substitute birdseye chili for those recommended here.

Pickled pork, shoulder or hand - 1.4-1.6 kg (3-3½ lb), soaked for 4 hours
Water - 1.7 litres (3 pints)
Cloves - 2 whole
Onions - 4 large, halved
Carrots - 6 large, halved
Celery - 4 sticks, chopped
White turnips - 4, halved
Black peppercorns - 6
Fresh parsley - 1 sprig
Fresh thyme - 1 sprig

Place the pork and the water in a very large saucepan and bring to the boil.

Stick the cloves into one of the onion halves, then add to the pan with all the remaining ingredients.

Simmer the meat and vegetables for about 1½ hours.

Place the pork and vegetables on a warm serving dish and serve with pease pudding and English mustard

Thanks.

It seems that p/pork is much the same as corned beef in prep. and serving. Except for the pease pudding. I’ve never eaten or even seen pease pudding, 'tho I remember a nursery rhyme from my kiddiehood that argued the relative merits of whether it should be served hot or cold or five days old.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Yep Kambuckta I think it is the pork version of corned siverside and you would cook it much the same way. Pease pudding is something I haven’t come across either, other than in verse, but aside from that Scumpup’s recipe looks okay

Same here but I was always told you neded a couple of bay leaves and some golden syrup too.

Pease porridge is just split pea soup.

Pease pudding is a bit different from the soup, but not much.

A traditional English dish commonly served with ham or boiled beef. Also lovely served cold, spread on a chunk of bread and topped with a thin slice of ham. Prep time does not include the overnight soaking.

500 g dried split peas, soaked overnight
1 onion, finely chopped
1 sprig fresh rosemary
2 eggs, lightly beaten
30 g butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
salt
2 tablespoons malt vinegar

1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. Brush a 4-cup ovenproof dish with melted butter or oil.
  3. Place first three ingredients in a large saucepanand cover with water; place lid on saucepan and cook over gentle heat until the peas start to split.
  4. Drain peas and discard rosemary; mash and add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
  5. Pour mixture into dish; place into a larger baking pan and fill that pan with water to come halfway up the side.
  6. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes or until pudding sets.
  7. Serve warm.