Pineapple-Mango Habanero Salsa

I made a batch of this two weeks ago when my market had the pineapple for a $1 per can and the mangos were $1 each. I liked it so much I made it again yesterday. If you like the combination of sweet, savory and hot, this is heaven.

1 20 oz. can pineapple chunks, drained (I reserve the juice for a rum drink to sip while making the salsa…)
2 mangoes, diced
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1 - 2 orange habanero peppers (depending on how hot you like it,) stemmed and chopped (remove seeds for less heat)
1/2 cup chopped white onion
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt

Directions:
Add everything to a food processor and pulse to mix, leaving some texture. Refrigerate. The longer it sits, the hotter it gets.

To the grocery store!

For Freedom!

Funny, I just made a mango habanero salsa last night. It called for red onion instead of white, no honey, and tomato. I missed the tomatoes when buying ingredients, oops.

I thought it turned out good, but having diced tomato and some juice would have evened out the heat, but I’m thinking papaya instead.

IMO, mango alone isn’t sweet enough to balance the habanero. The pineapple does a nice job. Tomato would make it more traditional, rather than a fruit salsa. It might still be good.