Pink Floyd on Broadway

The Wall to be a Broadway musical.

Ya know, I’m a big Floyd fan, but I’m not really sure we need this.

That is SICK and WRONG. :confused:

The world needs a Pink Floyd broadway show like it needs a Bette Midler death-metal crossover album.

Tommy was a huge hit on broadway and it was considered to be much better than the film version of Tommy. (shudder)

If Hairspray can be a broadway show, I don’t see any reason The Wall can’t be one.

'Nother fan checking in
It might work if they kept Waters out of it*****, surely he wouldn’t let them put in any dance routines?

I can’t think who would go to it. I can sort of see the appeal of Tommy or that gawdawful Queen show. Tommy is naturally a theatrical piece and tho’ the Queen show is probably dreadful as theatre it is crammed with terrific songs from the band’s whole career.

I think what I’m thinking is that the Wall is too ponderous to work as a musical. Maybe doing it as a pantomime would brighten it up a bit? Or get Ben Elton to stitch together another monstrosity. I’d like to see the story line that called for say – Arnold Lane, One of These Days and Another Brick.

BTW. Wasn’t it good that PF quit while ahead and never wrote recorded or released anything after The Wall.
*****[serious hat on] I don’t think he’d let anyone fiddle with the show, even if that is what was required to make it work.[/serious hat on]

Waters has been talking about this for at least the last six years. I’ll believe it when tickets go on sale.

Why wouldn’t it work on Broadway?

I can’t imagine them staging the film version of The Wall, but it seems that The Wall in Berlin was essentially a Broadway musical, and that was pretty entertaining.

Roger Waters + the Weinsteins + the man who gave us Mariah Carey sounds like a memorable disaster in the making, but maybe that’s just me. I think The Wall has a few good songs but is extremely overrated… I think “ponderous” is a good word.

plucky little child star in a trashed hotel room…

“Oh, the Wall will come up tomorrow
'cuz you know the show must go on tomorrow
Come what may…
When I think of a brick that’s red and blocky
I stick out my eyebrow, right now, and shave…”

The Wall isn’t one of my favorite Floyd albums anyway, but I don’t see why it couldn’t work as a musical. Obviously if the vocals sound like Barbra Streisand and/or Liza Minelli, then of course that’s not going to work. Neither will it work if the instrumentation is all brass and strings.

But if the production remains reasonably true to the original music and plot, then why not?

Also a big Floyd fan and have to agree with your assessment. For f***'s sake, just don’t let it end with “The Tide Is Turning”.

Nnnnnoooooooo!

Have there been any decent Broadway musicals based on having a complete breakdown? Doesn’t seem like Sunday matinee fare.

I’d rather see him team up with Laurie Anderson and that Cremaster guy for some kind of bizarro performance art piece.

Next up Sybil! - the musical!

the hands!
the people!
the hands!
the people!

Nnnnnoooooooo!

Have there been any decent Broadway musicals based on having a complete breakdown? Doesn’t seem like Sunday matinee fare.

I’d rather see him team up with Laurie Anderson and that Cremaster guy for some kind of bizarro performance art piece.

Next up Sybil! - the musical!

the hands!
the people!
the hands!
the people!

My first reaction was you’ve got to be kidding me.

Upon reflection it’s not such a bad idea if it gets done right. I saw the Pink Floyd tour and it was basically just a grand stage production anyway, and a good one.

This, however, troubles me:

You never know how these things will turn out.