Pirates and HTML

• Another annoying computer question! Hooray!
  • I have at least one problem, maybe two. First, if you type a page with HTML tags and save it as an HTML document, and then view it with IE should the tags be resolved? I wantd some way to find out how to view it before uploading it but someone told me this would work, and it don’t. The tags are still there and the page is unformatted, the only difference is that it is in smaller print on screen. In Word, “view as webpage” looks the same as viewing with IE.
  • The other problem is that I might have a pirate version of Office 97 Pro. Ed. (which could be the cause of the problem above). It only came in the jewel box - nothing else. I needed a copy of Word at home and was short on bucks at the time, and got it at a computer flea market. All I ever used before was Word with .doc files and it worked just fine (no error messages), but the first time I tried to save an HTML document it said “Windows registry blah blah blah files are missing or corrupted. Reinstall to correct the problem.” Word has always worked fine before, but now I get the same message as above when I use or do anything in Office. I didn’t re-register it because I already did the first time, but now I wonder, is there some file MS sends you during registration? And if it’s a pirated CD, what do they do? I wouldn’t be too surprised if mine was, considering what I paid for it($50), but MS never said anything. What’s up? - MC

MC sed:- I have at least one problem, maybe two. First, if you type a page with HTML tags and save it as an HTML document, and then view it with IE should the tags be resolved? I wantd some way to find out how to view it before uploading it but someone told me this would work, and it don’t. The tags are still there and the page is unformatted, the only difference is that it is in smaller print on screen. In Word, “view as webpage” looks the same as viewing with IE.

*Did you make sure the file is saved in MS-DOS or Text Only format. If you’re using Word to author it, you might have some binary formatting codes that are throwing off IE. Try Save As MS-DOS Text with line breaks and see if that resolves your viewing problem.

Also, make sure the first line is “<HTML>” or the browser might not interpret correctly.*

Oops. The HTML code I tried to show you got processed instead. That last line should have read:

*Also, make sure the first line is “<HTML>” or the browser might not interpret correctly. *

If you’re using Word, you DON’T type in the HTML tags. Just format it as you would a regular Word document. When you choose “Save as HTML,” it will put in tags.

If you entered the tags as HTML tags in the document, they were considered part of the text you wanted displayed, not as HTML tags.

The problem is with the registry (a file on your computer that keeps configuration information), not registering the software. Either the installation screwed up or the pirate version was incomplete.

You can try reinstalling Word. The Kosher version would fix the problem. I don’t know how the pirated version dealt with this, though. (Is it truly pirated? Does the CD have “Microsoft Office” printed on it, or is it blank? Did it have a CD key?)

Best not to use Word to write HTML pages, use notepad. It won’t add any control characters.

Why dont you just get Netscape, its free and it comes with an easy to use HTML page creator?

Search your registry for OEM numbers. See if you have one for Word. Search for ‘oem’

• Others tell me that it looks legitimate. It came wrapped with a foil sticker on it, and two stickers with numbers on them placed on the back of the jewelbox (CD key and another: XXX-XXXXX. It doesn’t include Bookshelf, but it seems to think it does at times (“To use Bookshelf, insert the Office 97 CD”). I know there’s different versions, but I didn’t bother to go to the MS site and try to find out because it has one hundred thousand pages and unless I want to buy an MS product I can’t ever find what I’m looking for. - MC