Pit Trolling And Friendly Crumudgeon

Yes, the same behavior.

“Those people used words, and those other people used words, too! They are both using words, why are you treating them differently?”

Well, I guess you’re going to have to be more diligent in reporting these lies when you see them, but this one was pretty blatant and generated a larger number of flags than any post I’ve seen in my brief time as a mod.

It was pretty blatant trolling honestly. The ATMB doubling down really made the decision very easy. In fact without the ATMB thread, he would not have been banned.

You’ve never posted an example of this type of situation, and you will not begin doing so now.

Yes. That’s my point. It generates flags and mod action based solely on the target.

Is something wrong with your flag button?

Well, for everyone that likes to skirt the edges of trolling, I guess today’s lesson is don’t double-down in an ATMB thread with an obvious bit of bullshit.

Should we enshrine that in bronze or do you think don’t be a jerk already covers it maybe?

The video he linked to is no longer available. However, a difference is that he was apparently commenting on a story that was already circulating on the news.

I googled to see if the Biden slip was already being publicized. In fact, the first claim I found was posted about 2 hours after FriendlyCurmudgeon’s thread. The claim was either something he made up himself or possibly saw on social media. There are only a very few stories now; the slip is mostly being ignored.

As frequently noted, it’s pretty hard to get dinged for being offensive in the Pit. The exceptions tend to be covered by other, more specific rules, like the one against hate speech. Getting warned for deliberately lying is slightly more common, but still pretty rare - my default is to believe people when they present themselves as obstinately stupid or deeply unpleasant, unless given pretty strong evidence to the contrary. This is also tempered by not wanting to give warnings to people who are engaging in parody or hyperbole.

When I saw FriendlyCrumudgeons thread in ATMB, I assumed he was going to try to argue the latter, and maybe point to, say, a post calling Ted Cruz the Zodiac Killer as evidence that what he was doing wasn’t out of bounds. Instead, his defense was, “He did too say the n-word!” Now, I don’t believe for a minute that FC actually believes Joe Biden said the “n-word” in that clip, but if he’d kept it to the Pit, he might have skated.

Instead, he brought his act to ATMB, and tried to continue it here. The rules against trolling in ATMB are a lot less ambiguous than the ones in the Pit.

I have no objection to the moderation; I’m reminded why I don’t read the Pit; and haven’t watched the video, but:

There is a curious tension between this view and the fact that multiple posters (between the various threads) jumped in to (falsely) claim that the video had (clearly) been faked.

A mod corrected that poster; we will now see of he doubles down in unrelated ATMB threads, or lets it go

Do we really have to go through The Octopus Show every single time a right wing troll is banned, no matter how obvious? His “Help! Help! I’m being oppressed!” shtick is really getting rather tiresome.

In before “hIvE mInD!!!111337H4x0r”

Video doesn’t seem fake. It seems obvious Biden says eager after a bit of a stammer. Shouldn’t be newsworthy IMO. However, it definitely is fair game for parody.

It’s not comparable at all, unless all you read is the thread title. If you read the full text of the OP and @pool’s subsequent comments, it’s clear that he the title was intended ironically/sarcastically, that he was making the point that he does not think an unintentional slip of the tongue that accidentally resembles a slur should be punished either in this case or in prior cases.

Which has nothing to do with this situation. The banned poster pretty much banned himself.

We are stil waiting for any of the dozens of examples of liberal posters getting away with this same behavior that you promised us. Despite, I assume, your use of the report button to flag down a mod.

Modnote: your post is bordering on insulting. Please do not repeat.

Understood.

No, there’s really nothing “curious” at all. Is there any reason to believe that those posters who mistakenly thought the video was faked were deliberately lying for the purpose of trolling?

If we were to apply the rules, technically, there’s no difference.

The “should” part would mean that the posters should have known that the video was legit and not faked.

But I digress.

In this thread? Should be trivial to link to, then.

No, it isn’t. Asking you to back up your statement with examples is not farcical.

Your not actually having any examples, as seems clear, would be, though.