Pitting all those fuckers that ask "Cite ?"

I think you see it here more often is because this place can sometimes look like a strawman factory. Logic 101 says the best way to defeat a strawman is to focus on one point and debunk it. Sometimes the element that looks to be true is actually the one that isn’t.

Here’s a previous thread with some discussion on the subject.

Though there appears to be room for some legitimate disagreement on the exact parameters, it does seem to me that many people use the request for a cite as a sort of fencing parry.

The ultimate ridiculous example that I remember was when I asserted that the average adult Chinese male was taller than 4’10", and my opponent demanded a cite. (Strangely, this guy was considered a fine debater in many circles).

Damn straight. In fact, it’s a constitutionally protected right. I refer you to Amendment 28 of the Constitution of the United States, which reads as follows: * “The great Need to be free and unmolested by impertinent, rude, and imbecilic Louts of low Character who make superfluous and pestilent Demands for Cites, being of crucial Importance to any great Nation, the Right of the People to beat such rude and silly Persons stoutly about the Head and Shoulders with Umbrellas, Canes, dead Cats or any other such suitable Weapons, to pelt them soundly with rotten Fruits and Vegetables, or to wave their Genitalia in the general Direction of such ill-mannered Miscreants, shall not be infringed.” *

So there.:stuck_out_tongue:

I’m just waiting for someone to ask cite, and end up getting a hidden goatse.cx link disguised as a cite.

I’ll laugh my ass off when that finally happens.

What’s a “goatse.cx” link - “Goat Sex” ?

Shine a light, someone…

You do NOT want to shine a light on that Web site!

Blecch! (Seriously, once you’ve seen it, you can’t unsee it)

That would undoubtedly be their last post, too.

Goatse.cx is probably the most vile thing on the Internet. I won’t link to it, since that would be a good way to lose my posting priviledges. Just copy-paste “goatse.cx” into your browser with “http://” in front of it, if you dare. Don’t do it if at work, or if you value your sanity.

Don’t worry - I’m not gonna go to it or anything. Just wondering what it is.

Is it a beastiality site ? That’s weird, but it’s not as vomit inducingly awful as you make it sound.

I’m pretty sure that SDMB rules and regulations specifically cite posting that website as a banable offense.

Don’t go to that URL! Just don’t!

OTOH, if the cite is provided beforehand, it would be foolish to ask for one.
:slight_smile:

Achilles, if you really want to know you can type that address – goatse (dot) cx – into your browser’s address bar and hit enter. I highly recommend against it. You will regret it. You will wish you could scrub your brain clean with steel wool, but since you can’t, the image will haunt you for the rest of your days.

H.P. Lovecraft has nothing on goatse – to see it is to go insane.

(You also really, really don’t want to do a Google image search for “tubgirl.” Trust me. It’s for your own protection.)

BTW, for anyone who has seen goatse, have a look at this brilliant entry into a B3TA competition for the “Victorian Internet”. (Don’t worry - it’s entirely clean.)

Someone posted a link to “tubgirl” in a BBQ Pit thread once.

Since the thread in question was in Great Debates, I believe that “Cite?” is fair game.

The thread’s title “Behind every fortune is a crime, claimed Balzac. Are there exceptions?” was the basis for the debate. adaher’s claim that:*“Most rich amassed their fortunes playing by the rules.” * really deserves proof. It is a debate, debate standards in GD seem to be that you will need some proof, be it empirical, experiential, or “cite” as the case may be. Yes, what adaher said is hard to prove and one would be hard pressed to produce proof of such. The big problem is, that his/her quote could be taken as fact when adaher has no proof of it to begin with. Saying “cite?” is a polite way for calling “bullshit” on someone when they spout personal opinions as facts. If the person wants to make us believe that what they’re claiming is true, they’ll need evidence to persuade us.

I’d rather have people back up their opinions with facts than with general bullshit that they heard on the street somewhere. Does quoting an internet site make it true? No. But it does give credence to one’s claim (which is also on a sliding scale given how reputable the website is esp. in regards to its own credibility).

Can someone explain what is on those web pages?

I can’t remember if it was a thread I started or just responded to, but I paraphrased some ignorant thing that Bush Jr. had said, regarding terrorism I think, and the next poster wanted a cite. He seemed smug in the extreme in the way he asked for it, so I smugly provided a cite in the very next post to his. [Timing is everything sometimes.] And, I have to say, it felt goooooood. And, the little bastard didn’t respond again. HA!

I second that.

Anyone…

Y’see, I’m curious, but chicken.

You just don’t wanna know.

I know you do really wanna know, but once you do know, you won’t wanna know.

So really, you don’t wanna know.

D’you see?