Pitting all those fuckers that ask "Cite ?"

Meh. Kinda. But I really want to know !

I started to tell you, but that would ruin the surprise. You’ll just have to walk into it unsuspecting like the rest of us did. It helps if you do it with a good friend, so in addition to screaming you’ll be laughing.

I’m getting queasy just thinking about it, and I’m not kidding.

Alright. I’ll do it in College when we return next term. The SysAdmins in College probably have a higher tolerance for that kind of shite than the firewall monkeys in work…

Can’t wait to see what all the nauseating fuss is about…

Kinda like the feeling when one first hears about felching, I assume.

My feeling is that if someone’s only “contribution” to the thread is to quote one thing and ask for a cite, then that person can and should be ignored.

Do Not Feed the Cite Monsters.

They’re just another version of the common troll.

Achilles, don’t do it anywhere someone else would be looking at your records.

I told you I’m chicken. There’s no way that I’m clicking on an “odd-sex.com” link from work. My job may be bad, but it’s still my job. I need it.

Thanks though…

Is it really that bad ???

What the fuck is on that site? Now you’ve got to tell me…

For those who want to know but don’t want to look:

goatse is a guy stretching his asshole out…I mean really, really REALLY stretching his asshole out. Trust those who tell you that you’re fortunate never to have seen it.

Nothing wrong with that link, only a bunch of words there. Anything else could get me banned and I don’t want that. Of course, the mental picture you get from reading those words is your problem. :wink:

I’d wager whatever is at goatse.cx is worse.

Yup. That’ll do it. I’ll never click on that link. EVER. Thanks ** D the C **

CITE??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Meh.

For the post in question the response is to stand corrected and say that it is my impression that most people … and roll your eyes. Precision is key. It aint a fact even if most people believe it unless you can show the convincing evidence, and having a cite doesn’t prove it, it just shows why you believe it to be true. Justifiably it might be dismissed as unconvincing to someone else. But it is a more informed dismissal. GD is for critical evaluation of the evidence not humble opinions or mindless pointless stuff that you must share.

Anyway, wasn’t that quote more a reference to the crime of leaving others starve while you have more than enough? I’m not literate enough to know the context.

I’ve seen goatse.cx so many times it no longer bothers me. Too many invasions at SAAN from Something Awful.

Tubgirl, on the other hand…shudder

jjimm-um, what is the significance of the “Coatsec?” I don’t get it.

If asked to cite something that someone else could easily look up (and typically, that’s just about anything… pop it into Google, hit Go and boom… there ya go), then I don’t bother replying or just reply with “No.”.

If it’s of such importance to someone to verify what I say (and the things I usually say don’t require any leaps and bounds to convince yourself of), then they can look it up themselves.

I don’t think you should be allowed to say “cite” until your 1000th post.

Really, some automatic gizmatronic entity should replace it with a dickhead smiley or something.

Newbies (bless 'em) (or lekatt (who I imagine just keeps coming back as a newbie, reborn everyday completely clueless)) see it, and recognise it for what it is (a powerful bullshit tool), but what they don’t realise is that when it’s used just to say, “Er, I would have to get an education to agree with you,” it can send me apeshit, apoplectically dancing around my 'puter screaming, “Apples fall DOWNWARDS, you moron, EVERYONE knows that, now go fuck a slug!”

I think they do it just to piss me off.*

*cites/a hearty fuck you, on request

I occasionally run across people like this, and it always bothers me. Someone in a thread yells “cite!” when the subject is easily verified or debunked with a simple Web Search. It usually makes me lose faith in the requestor’s smarts, and his/her debating skill.
Did anyone else look at the ASCII version of that horrible site? I laughed so hard, I think I pooed a little.

I think jjimm’s link was a visual explanation of how Mr. Goatse came to be the way he is. Imagine if that chair slipped out from under him…

Oh. My. God. I thought the goat guy was bad, but the tub girl was worse. So much worse.

You people make me sick. Hell, I make me sick for not being able to resist looking.

Ugh.

Time to bleach my eyes.

You’d be amazed what people “know” to be true that just aint so.

If you state something as fact then you should be prepared to back it up or be prepared that you pulled it out of Mr. Goatsec. You’ve put it out as fact, it is your job to support it, not someone else’s job to “easily look it up.”

If you state something as fact and can’t prove it, then you are the one using the “powerful bullshit tool.”

Cites and critical evaluation of cites is one of the basics of intelligent debate. Intelligent debate isn’t saying things are true without any basis for the statement other than “everybody knows it is true.”

Reminds of back when I hung out in the research corridors: there was a long posting on one professors door with translations for statement in papers. One sticks in my mind. "It is well known that … " Translation: “I’m too lazy to look up the original data and don’t really know if this is true.”