Pitting Honeybadger

Hey now… he’s somebody’s uncle. Imagine Thanksgiving without him.

Not surprised you feel this way, I want what works best. As an individual I have always felt a moral obligation to do whatever I could to help alleviate the plight of the American blacks. As a citizen I realize I have no control over others and would encourage those suffering to adapt the best strategy they can come up with for themselves and others in the same situation. My basic disagreement is on what that strategy is. Patronizing does them no good at all and is far more racist than anything I have ever said.

The OP is a fucking moron who ignores the exact same behavior within his own “culture” that so upsets him about The Blacks.

IS there anything that white men can do to help alleviate the plight of the American blacks?

Well, there’s that burden.

The same as anyone: not say or do racist things – especially things that can influence others, and specifically teach your kids that such behavior is wrong.

Some common examples IMO (directly racist or indirectly racist in that they help maintain and spread racist ideas and practices in society): Don’t treat people differently based on entirely harmless cultural indicators (i.e. music they listen to, their dialect/manner of speech, clothes they wear, etc.). Don’t insist that the plight of black people in society is the fault of black people. Don’t insist that everyone has the same chance to succeed in society. Don’t blame large groups based on race, ethnicity, or similar, based on the actions of a few (I’ll note that I think it’s important to avoid doing this for any group, including conservatives, white people, Christians, etc.). Don’t link bad behavior by individuals to the much larger group they belong to. Don’t be ignorant about the history of white supremacism and racism in America. Don’t assume that you have any inkling of understanding of the experience of discrimination that others in different gender/race/religion/etc. categories have. Don’t interrupt people speaking about their own experiences. And call out anyone near you who does any of these things.

Well, I’ve been doing that for over 35 years. Has the plight of the American black been the least bit alleviated?

The strategy is to not say or do racist things, and encourage others to not say or do racist things, such that eventually society changes so that black people (and every other group) are actually treated equally and have an equal chance to succeed.

Over the last 35 years? According to the vast majority of black people I’ve spoken to, there’s been significant improvement.

Kind of, very slowly. It really is a group effort, but a lot of the group can’t be bothered to do their share.

If the answer to that question is “No”, are you going to redouble your efforts, maintain course and speed, or just give up and say you gave it the old college try?

Have you considered not griping about the behavior of black teenagers if said teenagers aren’t actually doing anything wrong?

Or being a little more cautious about possible confirmation bias when you feel inclined to claim that badly-behaved teens are “usually” black?

It wouldn’t be a real big act of plight alleviation, but every little bit helps when it comes to alleviating plights.

Perhaps you could give me pointers on how to redouble my efforts to not be ignorant about the history of white supremacism and racism in America.

Did they mention my name at all?

No I haven’t considered quitting griping about the local black kids because what they are doing is very wrong. Not talking loud music. Talking harassing girls both white and black. Pushing people, bullying kids, using foul language and just generally acting like thugs. Believe it or not that draws negative attention on those who don’t deserve it. Fair or not fair that is human nature.

Do you similarly gripe about white boys who harass girls, bully and shove people, use foul language and “generally act like thugs”?

Apparently it’s drawing your attention to slander millions of folks who’ve had nothing to do with that. You’re the one choosing to cast this as a problem of race – of black people as a whole – rather than just the individuals who have harassed or otherwise behaved poorly. No one is forcing you to do this, this is a choice you’ve made that you’re apparently fine with.

That’s harmful to society, and you should make a different choice.

LOL. We all have (at least) one, don’t we?

Just the opposite, putting your head in the sand and acting like you don’t see something doesn’t stop you are others from internalizing prejudices. Getting it out in the open and blaming the ones who are doing it helps to make people realize it is somewhat isolated but still common enough to be a big problem which it is.

And are those white boys drawing negative attention to their race?