Pitting My Wife (We vote today)

Sure, but it makes even less sense for you to travel separately.

Polls might show, that is. Sorry, I have no idea what riding we’re really speaking of…

Didn’t I say I would take her?

According to the OP, they do…

:stuck_out_tongue:

Consider taking her to dinner and a show rather than cancelling her.

So you did.

I stopped reading at the part where you were thinking of not taking her. My apologies.

Here’s a profile of my riding Vancouver Island North

Its going to ber tight !

Why don’t you do something else while you’re out? Pick something up that would would otherwise have had to drive for? Or is your polling station in the middle of nowhere? That would mean it’s not a useless trip.

But asking someone who they’re voting for, and making a big deal over a six mile drive sounds kind of passive aggressive to me. At least, that’s the kind of thing my extremely passive aggressive father would do with my mother - he’d agree to drive her to the store, then when he finds it’s to buy something he doesn’t approve of, suddenly it’s too far, the car will melt in the rain, etc. etc. As long as you’re not doing that.

It could be worse. My sister suddenly announced that she was thinking of voting Marxist-Leninist.

I’m still stuffed from Thanksgiving dinner, and would rather watch the election returns Thankyou.

My aunt was talking about something similar over Thanksgiving dinner. She was annoyed that in her riding the incumbent party (I forget which) gets about 80% of the vote, so she feels that her vote won’t make a difference. She decided that she’s going to cast a vote for the Greens or somesuch anyway, because even votes that don’t contribute to a win still contribute to the level of federal funding that said party receives for the next election. Besides, even if you feel like a jackass casting your vote, you’ll feel like a much bigger jackass by not voting, and I reckon you’ll feel that way for a lot longer.

Well if my wife could and wanted to vote communist, we wouldn’t be having this issue. I’d have no problem with that. I have a friendly neighbour who sports a Che Guevara tatoo on one shoulder and a Lenin tatoo on the other. Comepletely harmless.

Latest polling from Vancouver Island North (based on ‘best available data on Oct 12’) says

Disclosure - this website has an explicitly pro-environment and “anything-but-Harper” agenda. But it has the most up-to-date polling data I am aware of.

In any event, the $1.75 per vote means that your votes won’t cancel each other out. If you vote, your Conservatives and her NDPs will get additional funding; if you don’t, they won’t. The coffers of the Liberals and Greens are pretty empty, so you’ll both be gaining an advantage there.

I wish I could vote.

Similar to what Leaffan said, it’s nobody’s business who I vote for. Things in the US are very different - I had a neighbour DEMAND to know. I told her it was none of her business.

Do day care centers have much to do with that election as an issue? I was confused by that in the OP?

For my daughter it does. The NDP promises to spend 1.5 billion dollars on a national day care network if elected. For Americans, putting that in perspective is like Obama promising to spend 15 billion on daycare.

I like the Conservative approach by giving tax credits so parents have more choice .

Ah, the good old days at U. of T. in the late 70s / early 80s, when every fall the Marxists and the Lennists would each set up booths across form each other at Sidney Smith Hall, and inevitably end up in fist fights with each other and get hauled off by the police.

Ah, yeah, the Marxist-Leninists, with love of all things Albanian. I wonder if they can still be found on university campuses, and, if so, who they worship today.

My respects to your wife. As for you, you are incredibly petty. If everyone voted the same way, we’d be in a dictatorship. Cherish the fact that you disagree politely about this.

CHERISH IT.

If you do not vote, I promise to make a 12-mile drive to cancel out your carbon footprint gains…