Pitting SayTwo

Good. Now pulling for him to be banned from the channel entirely.

Yes. I predict it won’t be long.
And another belated Welcome Back! to @Cervaise.

Ultimately the tactic amounts to a deliberately vague “No, it’s not; you’re lying / covering up something!” to any claim. Which has the effect in 3rd-party watchers of sowing doubt that anything is uncontroversially knowable.

It’s all about setting the audience to a mindset of doubting everything and everyone all the time everywhere. Which is a precursor to whoever’s behind the effort delivering their payload of a different but easier-to-believe reality that leads directly to the audience behaving as desired.

Or at a minimum, leads to the audience target society becoming ungovernable democratically.

Two guesses who likes that idea.

See also this recent thread on 737 MAX

Well, that really wasn’t any more blatantly false than running_coach replying with “rough fatality rate of 1.9%”. The problem with SayTwo isn’t that he’s lying. He’s junking up debate JAQing off. He asked how hospitals could be so strained with a mere 10% increase in patient load. I said they are often strained by a heavy flu season and this was worse than that. Then he asked for a cite that this is worse than a bad flu season. Kinda overplayed his hand there and he got pissy when I refused to go further. That’s what he does everywhere only usually more complex questions so it’s not so obvious at first.

I thought his name was a play on “c’est tout”.

How about an actual fatality rate of 1.9%?

How about, that’s the case fatality rate. You know the infection fatality rate is most definitely lower, probably considerably lower.

Got numbers?

Trom posted the CDC’s estimates in the breaking news thread.

Those are broken out by age. I was going with overall.
Got numbers on the lower infection rate you’re claiming?

No, I’m not going to argue with someone who doesn’t think the IFR is lower than CFR. Nor someone who wants to ignore the age factor and come up with an average. Just like I won’t argue with someone who needs proof this is worse than flu season.

Since we don’t have an actual IFR, then CFR is all we have to go on. Unless you have data you’re hiding.

Like I said, not going to argue about it. If you look into it yourself, you will find belief that the IFR being lower than the CFR is the standard thinking in the medical community. Yes, it can only be estimated right now.

I never said it wasn’t lower. But since no one knows what it actually is, it’s kinda useless.

The CFR is also useless. What does that number do for you? What does an average rate do for you?

See, you’re actually doing the same thing as SayTwo. Trying to get me to jump through a bunch of hoops to prove accepted facts and ignoring the point. The only difference is that you are trying to make covid scarier while SayTwo is downplaying it. So your shenanigans are more “noble”, I guess, but I don’t really want to play along.

Exactly. The IFR is going to be lower because confirmed cases are falsely low. That means that there’s lots more people with the disease than we know and simply points to how contagious it is. Which also means that herd immunity requires much more people immune. Plus, there’s the possibility of people being infected more than once (although rare, I hope).

So the reality is in total deaths and hospitalizations, which is pretty high. Covid was the leading cause of death last week and will likely be the leading cause of death for a while now.

Got numbers on the lower infection rate you’re claiming?

See, how does that feel? Lol.

Sure I >= C, which means that IFR <= CFR.

:slight_smile:

By definition. LOL. If it’s the other way around, you doin’ sumpin wrong. Kinda like > 100% yield. (Dry your samples, students!)

I can say then that the one being roasted here has decided to continue with his freshman and juvenile behavior. .
[Warner Brothers Cartoon card pops up]

We wish to apologize 
to he nice freshmen students
who may be in the audience
         ....The Management.

[/WBCC]