Pixar's Brave...What are your first impressions?

I have no idea what these films you speak of are… (besides Cars)

I’m a big fan of some of the voice actors, so I’ll probably go see it. Kevin McKidd, (Lucius Vorenus from Rome) Robbie Coltrane (Hagrid from Harry Potter) and Billy Connolly (Billy Connolly). I’m not a big Emma Thompson fan, but I freely acknowledge that she’s both competent and experienced, so that doesn’t detract. Curious about the lead, though.

And it looks like the directors are all in-house Pixar talent who’ve worked themselves up to this and I’m curious about how that turns out.

For starters; Pixar trailers are notoriously nonindicative. They are one of the very few companies that don’t spoil half the movie in the first trailer.

And female protagonist? I’m in.

Kelly MacDonald - AKA the hot schoolgirl from Trainspotting, the shy maid from Gosford Park, the protagonist’s wife from *No Country for Old Men *and the one who doesn’t get naked on Boardwalk Empire. A fine actress, and a native Glasweigian.

Well, I wouldn’t say THAT. Cars, while a really enjoyable movie, is just Brigadoon rewritten. As long as they deal with strong basic themes Pixar does all right.

Oh, please. Try being German. Yes, yes, a German accent = bad guy. Maybe it’s not quite as common as it used to be, but damn.

Between those two and Hawkeye in The Avengers, it is really the summer of the archer, isn’t it?

I’m sold. The animation looks brilliant. The lead character is obviously a hard-ass. I’ll probably be there opening weekend.

Pixar has built up enough good-faith credit with me that I’d be willing to give it a chance even if the trailers looked terrible. Which they don’t.

Well, I don’t know about that, but I get the impression that copping a feel to find out would be dangerous.

As the father of two young girls I’m sure I’ll see this in the theater. I’ve enjoyed every Pixar movie but I doubt I would have seen them in the theater if I didn’t have kids.

I saw the preview in 3D, and all the red hair was doing something weird in my 3D glasses. It was…off. (Hard to describe exactly. Had almost a wobble to it when it moved.) Is there a problem with rendering red in 3D? I noticed red items in The Avengers had something weird going on.

Or maybe I just had defective glasses.

I love the trailer. I don’t go to movies in the theater, so I doubt I’ll be doing that. But I’ll be looking out for it after that.

It gave me pause when I read people in this thread comparing it to UP though. I did not like that movie.

I think I’d go just to watch that girl’s hair. Hair (human or otherwise) used to be a huge bugaboo for 3D rendering, but it looks like they’re finally getting the kinks (ha!) out. Impressive.

OTOH, I hated 3 of the last 5 Pixar movies, so I can’t say I’m chomping at the bit for another.

It’s probably not going to be much like UP, but I am anticipating that there’s a lot more to this movie than the trailers reveal, which is how UP was marketed.

Are you sure you’re talking about Pixar?

It looks like a pretty standard plot to me (in storybooks if not in Pixar movies) but I have two daughters who will probably rip me in half if I don’t take them.

One other thing: The landscapes they showed in the first trailers looked absolutely stunning. Seeing those in 3D might be worth the ticket price alone.

Saw Brave at the midnight showing last night and loved it. After the misstep with Cars 2, Pixar’s back in the groove again. I saw it flat but from the look of it, Merida’s hair would be another character when seen in 3-D. Yes, it’s from the “I’ve got to be me” mold but since movie plots (hell, all plots) are recycled endlessly, it’s what’s done with it that matters. I did suffer from Dusty Theatre syndrome a couple times during the movie. As seen in the previews, she’s an expert archer but that skill is not what brings down the Big Bad in the end. And that’s all I’m going to say lest we get into spoiler territory.

It would be great if it was good. I love good Pixar.

The marketing left me feeling, frankly, like they were whoring themselves out to their Disney overlords by making a simple Princess movie with a little Pixar dust sprinkled on it. I would like nothing more than to be wrong.

Just got out of a matinee showing.

**My general take on it: If you liked Tangled, you’ll probably love Brave. **

Very similar theme of ostensibly-about-heroic-girl-achieving-great-feats-and-finding-herself-but-really-centered-on-a-mother-daughter-relationship-thing.

Maybe I’m just spoiled by the reliably high quality of Pixar craftsmanship and no longer appreciate the value of a quite good, engaging, watchable movie, because I’m expecting really engrossing originality and/or ingenuity and/or charm.