Places of interest near you: Have you been? Worth a visit?

I’m living right next door to Seville right now (moving away this month).

I loved both Seville and Cádiz, both of which have tons of things to see in the “old stuff” and “cultural” sections, Cádiz also has some gorgeous, long beaches of white sand; Tarifa is also nearby and if you like windsurfing it’s unmissable. Whether you’d like them or not depends on your own taste, but in any case I recomend visiting outside the summer months. If you like multitudes, that means come to Seville for Easter and to Cadiz for Mardi Gras (Carnavales); if you hate bein jogged, avoid those times. If you’re into natural parks, Doñana is “the” Spanish natural park, although I haven’t gone because it’s not my style (it’s mostly salt flats, I’m more of a mountains kind of girl).

And, well, I’m from Pamplona. You’re welcome to visit, either for Sanfermines (when the town does its best to become a 24h party for 8.5 days) or outside (when it’s a quiet, provincial little town with very good bars and restaurants and many museums and “old stuff” and “natural points of interest” either in town or nearby).

No, he hasn’t gone there the first time yet. Didn’t you read? :wink:

I’m on the fringes of the DC area, and while there are some notable attractions I’ve missed, I’ve been to pretty much all the standard stuff, most of it multiple times.

I visited the Amon Carter Museum of Western Art back in the 70’s. It’s apparently been getting away from the Western thing since then. Saw my firstPosadas then & they blew my mind. Fort Worth has some fine art museums; That Other City in the Metroplex has just begun to catch up.

What’s close to Houston? NASA was interesting in a low-key way but has now been commercialized. The San Jacinto Battleground might be worth another visit; it helps to know the history. And realize the Battleship Texas did not help defeat Santa Anna!

Houston’s not a bad place to live; we’ve got some interesting culture & fine food. For serious tourism, I’d recommend a trip to San Antonio. It’s only a few hours away!

The National World War I Museum, in Kansas City, MO. Easily an all-day (or more) trip.

http://www.theworldwar.org/s/110/new/index_community.aspx

Reminds me of the old joke: What does Dallas have that Fort Worth doesn’t have? A: A really nice city about 30 miles away.

<g,d,&r>

I’m embarrassed to admit that I’ve never been to Hearst Castle, about a 100 miles up the road. I’m really into shit like that, too.

I drive past the Ben & Jerry’s headquarters every day on my way to and from work. Biggest tourist attraction in the state.

The SF Bay Area has tons of places; I’ve lived here for many years, but there’s always something “new” to see. A couple of weeks ago I went to check out the San Mateo County History Museum. Not only does it have some of the neatest stained glass in the west, there’s also a fun Maverick’s exhibit with a virtual surfing ride. Last weekend I was at the Morgan Hill Air Museum; it’s small in size, but has some unique aircraft, including a cool 1930 Peel Glider Boat.

Two words for you: disappointing.

I went there in 1989. That is, if it’s the same place. Not too far from Hachinohe. I was visiting a lady friend and she drove me there as something to do. I hope she and her family are okay as the tsunami did some pretty major damage there.

There are a ton of places in the Seattle area I have not been to. More because we’ve only been here for about 9 months.

As for Shanghai, I probably went everywhere of interest there or within a 3 hour drive.

The Owyhee Canyonlands, which some have called “the West’s forgotten corner” are just out my back door, figuratively speaking. A nifty place, but hardly little, in fact it’s huge. If one has the time and inclination it is definitely worth a visit.
SS

I live in San Antonio and our biggest “place of interest” is, of course, the Alamo.

Have I been? Yes.

Was it worth it? Yes.

“Worth it” in the sense that entry is free, otherwise, it is a whole lot of nothing.

A little over 2 hour’s drive from me is the Exotic Feline Rescue Center.

http://www.exoticfelinerescuecenter.org/home.html

Been there many times, and yeah, it’s TOTALLY worth it! You can get up close & personal to a couple hundred big cats. They have nice big enclosures but most tend to hang out near the fencing to greet people.

If you like big cats it is a MUST SEE place!

Is the Riverwalk still there? I lived there about 30 years ago, and the Riverwalk was WONDERFUL.

I’m afraid that I was completely underwhelmed by the Alamo.

Ah, the world’s most famous urinal. :smiley:

Eastern State Penitentiary. Very strange place, quite surreal. Basically a gigantic ruin that you are allowed to walk through on your own; some spots have signage, but it’s mostly just a trashed, falling-apart prison, with stuff just lying where it was left. It actually reminds me of certain dreams I occasionally have.

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - yeah, been there 3 times. Pretty cool if you’re in to rock 'n roll.

Amish Country - Yeah my grandparents live there. I’m there all the time. I think it’s more interesting to speak to actual Amish people that my grandparents know than to be a tourist or just to gawk. but plenty of stuff to see and a cheese factory with free samples!

My grandparents took me to the Behalt Amish & Mennonite Heritage Museum and THAT was cool. Very interesting to learn the history of these people.

Cedar Point - Never been. Not in to roller coasters. I am sort of ashamed of this. But I hear it’s worth a long trip if you’re in to coasters.

Cleveland Clinic - Kings go there. Famous movie stars go there. I go there too :stuck_out_tongue:

The spectacular Oregon coast, Mt. Hood, Mount St. Helens Park, the fruit loop (groves of fruit trees laden with good eats). Been to them all.

John Day Fossil Beds and many other attractions in Oregon: not yet, but coming this summer.

I live in the highest concentration of Thoroughbred horse farms in the country. They’re beautiful and there for the looking just driving down the road. However, I’ve taken an out-of-town friend on a paid tour and then later, my mother and I took my children on a similar tour on the theory that you should know something about the place you’re from.

I can’t think of a major Kentucky attraction I haven’t seen, though. Been to all these:

**Mammoth Cave ** – a national park

Daniel Boone stuff, including a replica of Boonesborough

Churchill Downs and the Kentucky Derby

**Land Between the Lakes **area and the **Ballard Wildlife Management Area **(stopover place for millions of migrating birds), etc.

Homes of Mary Todd Lincoln, Henry Clay and George Rogers Clark.

Lincoln birthplace – a national historic park also

Jefferson Davis Memorial

Been to a coal mine. Kayaked in the mountain streams

Cumberland Falls, the “Niagara of the South” and the Cumberland Gap (a national historic park)

The very first Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant opened by Col. Sanders

Aha! I haven’t been to Loretta Lynn’s family home. I have seen video, though, and there’s not much left here but the floor, no one lives here anymore … <singing>

Flutterby you must go to Head Smashed In and report back. I’ve been amused by the name of it since I heard about it more than 20 years ago!

That’s especially impressive coming from someone from the home of Big Bone Lick State Park. Fact: it is not humanly possible to hear the words “Big Bone Lick” and not become a puerile, sniggering 14-year-old boy about it.

Big Bone Lick! (snerk)

I live about 5 miles from Oak Glen, if you like apples.