Platinum as a strategic metal.

While doing research on this I keep coming upon variations of this fact:

“During World War II the availability of platinum was limited since it was declared as a strategic material. Use of platinum for most non-military applications was prohibited. After the war, consumption of platinum increased due to its catalytic properties.”

It also seems to have been declared such during WWI. The closest I can come to an answer to why it was strategic is that it comes from places like Russia which were unstable or difficult to access during those times.

What I don’t know is this: Why was platinum considered strategic during WWII and what were its “military application” during WWII.

WAG: its catalytic properties.

Platinum has all kinds of uses. Photography, electronics, sensors, catalyst, etc.

Platinum is a catalyst for the manufacture of many things from fossil fuel, plastics, so once the country in question had an adequate supply of coal or oil, it could whack in some platimun and make more plastics than you could shake a stick at. I know you probably know this, but plastics are not just PVC and PTFE, consider nylon, rayon and other things which are called material or fabric in the real world.
Also Pt is used as a catalyst in the petroleum industry, so the production of fuel oils, fabrics and plastics for the ar effort would be seiously undermined without catalysts such as platinum.

Fair enough, but was it used for these things before and during WWII?

This Site states the following:

The only uses I can find citations for (prior to WWII) are photography and jewelry. Was it in fact used industrially?

I think some early internal combustion engines used a heated platinum tube for ignition (in the WW1 era, these would mostly be stationary engines, I’m thinking…).

“The US government declared platinum a strategic metal while working on the Manhattan Project in the 1940s, as it is tremendously important in nuclear fission and fusion physics and applications” from http://www.zealllc.com/commentary/platinum.htm

sounds likely