Plausibility of rattlesnake attacking a child

Are you really REALLY sure that was actually a rattler and not a bullsnake? Not in your heart of hearts sure, but in your examining the specimen sure?

I’ve had to kill several dozen “rattlesnakes” and every freaking one of the “mean” rattlesnakes transmogrified into a bullsnake at death. The ones who stayed rattlers were obviously defending themseves, or trying to escape.

I like snakes, and it did bother me to kill a creature that was not AT THAT MOMENT a threat to a human, but rattlesnakes may not take up residence in my garden or horse pens. Those are the rules, and they are enforced.

BTW – dry strikes still hurt like hell, and need to be seen by a doctor.

Well, Rattlesnakes are/were very common in that park, they even have a warning sign. Then, bullsnakes (Pituophis catenifer sayi) are not common or native in CA (their close relative, the Gopher Snake, Pituophis catenifer catenifer* is endemic). Next, it was rattling like hell, and bullsnakes do not rattle- nor do Gophersnakes. I have kept a gophersnakes myself, and the dinky museum/nature par I worked at had rattlesnakes, I can tell them apart, if I get that close, and I was only 4’ away. I really do have an advanced degree in Biology, even though I don’t currently really work in that field.

So, yes, I am sure. :smiley:

When I worked in Zion NP, the Rangers got a call that a visitor had been bitten by a rattlesnake in the campground. The NPS doesn’t have the budget to hire separate personnel to handle law enforcement, firefighting and EMS, so commissioned Rangers handle all three tasks. When they responded, they found a visitor under the influence of alcohol who had been bitten while playing chicken with the snake. His buddy, also under the influence, had picked up a stick and clubbed the snake to death. The Rangers packed the first visitor in the ambulance and drove him to the hospital in St. George for treatment, after fining the buddy $500 for killing the snake. :slight_smile:

Also, the circumstances are weird. As in, how would anyone know what happened?
Assuming that this kid doesn’t have the worst grandparents ever, they aren’t likely to just sit there and say “hey, look at that, a rattlesnake is approaching the kid, let’s just wait and se what happens!”
So the only way this could have happened is if the adults never saw the snake coming, in wich case, of course, there would be nobody to tell the story.

In my opinion, the story as reported is nonsense. And I agree with CannyDan that it is unlikely that a 5 pound dog survived a rattlesnake bite in which venom was delivered.

And DrDeth, in my experience with Pituophis species, they do rattle. I have seen captive bull, gopher and pine snakes do it. A quick look turned up this site , which mentions the behavior.

My apologies, you do sound like you can tell the difference.

A lot of people can’t tell a garter snake from a rattler, even up close & calm. A lot more can’t tell a garden hose from a rattler during an adrenaline rush. I belong to the second group, unfortunately. Dead, or way over there, yes; an unexpected 2 feet from my face, nope.

I wasn’t discounting DrDeth’s story or his identification of the snake. As I thought I’d stated, I’ve seen such behavior in both non-venomous and venomous species. I simply see it as defensive behavior. The snake is blundering from one source of provocation to another, striking and even rushing forward to confront a dimly perceived object in order to drive it away. Alternating with these actions are attempts to retreat and escape. When these attempts are frustrated (DrDeth using a pole to try to direct the snake in what DrDeth sees as a better direction, unbeknownst to the snake) the hysterical animal strikes and lunges defensively again. Repeat as needed.

I have experienced what I’d consider truly agressive behavior in certain snake species. The non-venomous Florida green water snake (Nerodia floridana) is one. King cobra is another. I’ve been chased out of the swamp by green water snakes on a number of occasions. (Wading or swimming more than chest deep at night with a head lamp puts their teeth right at eye level.) And I’ve had king cobras that would also chase you around and around their enclosures, seemingly just because they can. Mambas also come to mind in this regard. But not rattlers.