Playing possum

Now that’s interesting. The only time I saw one play possum was in my trashcan. Making every effort to avoid those teeth upon discovering him, I laid the can on it’s side expecting him to take off. He laid down and closed his eyes. I walked across the street and continued to observe him.
Possums are not terribly intelligent, BTW. He would periodically open his eyes and look over his shoulder at me. “I’m dead here, fella. Nothing to see here…How am I doin’?”
I had to move out of sight before he would leave.

Yes, but how squeeeeee! :slight_smile:

Well, if “squeeeeee” means “What.The.Fuck” – yupper.

That too. :slight_smile:

No, the rats aren’t nearly as toothy.

I’ve never seen one play possum, I’ve only seen them play HISS HISS BITE BITE KILLL! Oh, and sometimes I see them play What Are You Looking At?

I’m surprised you woke up enough to actually realize it was a possum.

I would have opened my eyes and said, “Hmm…a baby possum on my bedside table.” and rolled over and went back to sleep. I’m impressed you woke up enough to chase it with a broom and dustpan.

That’s exact sound it would have made if she’d tried to get some moisturizer out of it.

A month or two ago, I took some trash out to the dumpster. When I opened the door to the chute it startled a possum which startled me as it jumped away and ran.

Think of the poor marsupial, enjoying a Goldilocks nap and suddenly being set upon by a giant person with a dustpan and broom. :slight_smile:

Could the Possum have been trying to use the Moisturizer?

So they can bend space and possibly time? Makes you wonder why so many of them end up as roadkill.
One of my cats kept staring at my ceiling fan last night when I was trying to sleep. I wonder if there could have been a baby possum up there? I don’t have any moisturizer up there though.

Either that or the contact lens fluid.

They still believe that lying down in the middle of the road is a better way to avoid a Mack truck than teleportation.

A string of words I never thought I’d see.

Oh, I’ve got experience with young possums. Had one stuck in my house for four days one time. I kept finding dried up possum turds under things for months afterwards. I wish the darn thing had played possum. But no, he was a fast little bastard.

The first time one got in I tossed an old t-shirt over it and put him outside. After that, I’d put on a pair of gardening gloves and just grab 'em by the tail and toss 'em out.

grabs garden gloves, adds them to clutter on bedside table

Depends. It coulda been an awesome possum (best said in a Long Island accent).

You shoulda snuggled with it. It prolly needed moisturizing, too.

I can only hear it in a bad Aussie accent describing it as an appetizer at the Outback Steakhouse, “try the Awesome Possum, mate!”

Once you hear it in the Long Island tongue, you’ll never hear it in another.

Well, they know they can teleport - but they are never quite sure when they are when they finish.
Given the choice between a Mack truck and the heat death of the universe, well - the truck is quick.

Si

You misunderstand the marsupial mindset, Sir. They believe that if they pretend to be dead, the truck will cease to pursue them, unaware that the truck is merely preceding from point “A” to point “B” with the toothy little fellow squarely between, quick or dead. :slight_smile: