please check my math

To make a long story short, if I was to sell a house I would pay the real estate agent a commission of 6 % of the sales price. If I were able to sell with out an agent I would save the commission. My question is, what is this the correct method to determine what the sales price would have been had I paid an agent?

In other words, is this the correct way to determine what number less 6% is a known number?

Y= known number, X= unknown

Y= X- (X x 0.06)
Y= X-(X/1 x 6/100)
Y= X- 6X/100
Y= 100X/100 – 6X/100
Y= 94X/100
100Y= 94X
100Y/94 = X

By the way, I have not been in an algebra class in over 15 years, please take it easy on me.

y=0.94x

seems a lot simpler to me.

Agreed.

It is the same thing as Y = X - (X x 0.06), only simpler…

Gp

Your logic is correct, assuming that Y is the amount that you would offer your the house for sale without an agent, and, and X is the sales price that you would need if you want to have Y left after paying a 6% commission.

Whether you should actually try to sell the house without an agent is a whole nother question :slight_smile:

thanks for the help cw/g.
grim & K2K, i was trying to solve for X, not Y, but thanks any way.

Then x=1.06y

not exactly, the math doesent work out because you need 6% of X, not Y.

x=y/0.94

yes i agree with saltire but not the K2k.
if you work the math it is different

Of course, it’s foolish to pay the agent 6%.

I’d offer 'em 3%, and settle for 4%.

Oh, I see, I see.

In that case, what Saltire said, of course, which is just dividing both sides of what I said the first time by 0.94.

So in a way, I was right the first time.

better not to pay them at all if you can help it. ; )

K2K,
i dont think so because what you are doing is taking the 6% from the Y side and not the X…i think.

Actually, what Knead2Know said was right, both in his first and second posts. He just rounded it to 2 decimal places.

1/0.94=1.0638

Actually, what Knead2Know said was right, both in his first and second posts. He just rounded it to 2 decimal places.

1/0.94=1.0638

i just worked the math using real numbers. both ways to do it. K2K you are correct, i am sorry. like i said it has been 15 years since i took algebra…thanks to all.

i think what messed me up was i thought you were taking 106% of X as apposed to taking 94% of Y…if that makes sence to anyone but me.