Please Help!! Home maintenance question

[my apologies in advance for the semi-ranting nature of this question]

I live in a townhouse complex managed by some incompetent boobs. They have managed to half-ass every repair we’ve called them in for.

Two days ago, during a downpour, I noticed that we’ve developed a leak somewhere under the sliding glass door. The carpet was very wet, and the walls on either side showed visible water marks several inches on either side.

They came in yesterday afternoon and left a huge industrial-strength air-blower in the middle of my living room and insisted we let it run all night, claiming they’d be back to do more today. I have a sneaking suspicion that they’re going to half-ass this, too.

Please help, I need to find out what can and should be done for this kind of leak, so I can make sure it’s done right. I’m paying way too much money for all the water damage going on in there. Thanks alot!!

If it is the original door, and nothing has changed much other than it developed a leak, two things need to be checked:

-was their wood that rotted away and caused the seal to be compromised?

-was their alot of caulking used to make the door fit, and the caulking has since detoriorated?

Unlikely, but could be that the grading of the ground forces water to run towards the building, and it gradually eroded the area under the door and/or contributed to the rotting of the frame work on that door/wall.

You should call them up today, and ask them to come and FIX THE LEAK, you can handle drying the carpet on your own. Also make sure that you will not be charged for any water damage due to the leak (that should probably be put in a file somehwere so they don’t just take it out of your security deposit). If they don’t fix it or they continue to do half assed jobs with this and/or other things, and you get fed up enough, call up your local housing authority and see what they have to say.

With the amount of water damage/intrusion you are describing, it sounds like the door frame is what is leaking. Look for gaps between the frame and the walls and floor. Silicone caulking all around the edges will probably do the job. It would be better to pull the whole thing out and reinstall it correctly, but that’s a pretty big job if you haven’t done something like that before. My suggestion would be to get some silicone and go around the entire frame. Also check the weather stripping around the door, the window side and the seals between the glass and the frames.

What Turbo Dog and Philster are saying are totally correct. But Since you live in a place with landlords, it’s best left for them to do it. For several reasons. First of all, check your contract, you may not be allowed to do your own repairs of that type. Second, if you screw up, you have to pay for it. (But if they get caulk all over the carpet it’s their fault). Or what happens if you go to take a look at it, and find out that the wood is totally rotted out and in poking around, you make it worse. I would say just call your landlord over to your house today, and ask them to schedule a time to fix it. (and fix it right). And don’t forget to have them make a note of any damage that is done by water, and any damage that is done during the repairs, so you don’t get nailed when you move out. Also, if they don’t fix it correctly the first time, call them up again the second it starts leaking.

Thanks, everyone, for the info.

This is definitely my plan. They’ll most likely be in to fix it today while I’m at work, so I needed to get more info on the subject before I get home and inspect.

I am hoping they get right. According to the weather, I should have a chance to test it out this weekend (damn rain).

Fingers crossed.

Joey makes a good point. It is the landlord’s responsibility to get things fixed if they break. I’ve just always made arrangements with landlords to do my own repairs with them paying for materials or deducting my cost from the next month’s rent because I like to know that it gets done correctly, because I enjoy doing home repairs, and because I don’t like strange people in my home even when I’m there. Every landlord I’ve ever had was thrilled with the arrangement because it saves them their time and, if they aren’t mechanically inclined, labor costs of hiring someone. Take a good look at everything and make sure it looks good. When the repair people are part of the complex instead of private contractors or handymen, things usually get done on the very quick and cheap IME.

Also, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to get something in writing from the repair people and the landlord acknowledging that there was a major leak, there could be water damage, and that you are not to be responsible for future problems in that area, or any costs related to it when you move out someday.