Please help me identify this movie.

It’s B&W, probably late 50’s or early 60’s. It seems to take place in the late 40’s.

A handful of men (4 or 5) are in prison, and at least one of them is there unjustly. They have garnered favor with the guards/warden and are given a special, bigger cell. One night, they have a jam session of sorts, where one plays the harmonica, many sing, etc. One of them says “I’ve been singing country music since before they came up with the words ‘country music.’” Then, some big, muscular, oafish character starts singing in a beautiful tenor voice, and all are amazed.

That’s all I remember.

That last bit sounds like STIR CRAZY, a Richard Pryor-Gene Wilder movie.

The date doesn’t match your guess, but a plot search (prison, singing) on IMDb found Over the wall from 1938.

http://us.imdb.com/Plot?0030543

Tom~

It wasn’t called “country music” in 1938. The common term was “hillbilly music,” though “country and western” was probably beginning to be used.

“East is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does.” – Marx

Read “Sundials” in the new issue of Aboriginal Science Fiction. www.sff.net/people/rothman