*Please* let that be a mistake!

I’ve started a project to gather all of the photos of spiders I have taken over the last 20 years of having digital cameras, and with any luck identifying them. So tonight I find a few that I took of a spider on my front porch in 2010.

I let Google Lens have a try at it, it comes back with a very good match. The thumbnail description says

“Trichonephila clavata, also known as the Jorō spider, is a member of the golden orb-web spider genus.”

So far, so good. But the excerpt continues:

“The spider can be found throughout Japa…”

Japan? Guess that isn’t mine after all. But I click the wiki link anyway, and find that the spider is found in Japan, Korea, Taiwan, China, and–Northeast Georgia? Well, given that information I feel pretty safe saying that they are found in Northwest South Carolina, too. (Coming soon to a state near you?)

So I do a little more googling on the spider. I find a story on the South Carlina public radio site (and here is where the thread title comes in) that says females can reach up to one meter in length.

Okay, I know that’s that’s not true. But the image! I’m no arachnophobe, but have no problem admitting that I would not be happy to have my area colonized by 3 foot long fucking kaiju spiders.

I guess the 3 ft refer to the web, not the spider, but it is a pretty thing. I suppose you could see it that way: the bigger the spider, the easier it is to see and avoid. No danger of accidentally swallowing a 3 ft spider in your sleep

The good thing about giant spiders is that you can hear them walk, so you’re more likely to know when one is around.

…And thanks to Clint Eastwood, we know Napalm will take 'em out!

Is it possible “northeast Georgia” refers to the country and not the state? Although that’s still nowhere near Japan, China, Korea…

Ahhh, these fellas. The Nephila genus brings back fond and not-so-fond memories. They can bite painfully, but for the most part are very docile. It used to be that you could find one such spider hanging between almost every pair of trees on a mountain near my home. But as human development and deforestation took place, the spiders were sadly driven off. (Many of them were Nephila pilipes or Nephila maculata, though, not the Joro spider.)

I call foul on your lack of a descriptive title! I did not come in here expecting to see spiders! Ick!

So, Darren_Garrison, what are your lat-lon coordinates? Asking for a friend who wants to minimize collateral damage.

Gah!!!?!!
I kinda hate you now.

Trigger alert!
TRIGGER ALERT!!
Where’s my hand gun?

(Gunning for BIG spiders, not Darren)

Oh, it’s no accident

Update: I jumped the gun on my original post. On closer scrutiny, I decided that was just a sub-adult native Writing Spider (Argiope aurantia) and not an invasive Japanese Jorō Spider here at my house.

This is an invasive Japanese Jorō Spider here at my house.

Six eyed spider burying itself. (Enjoy, Beck!)

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=six+eyed+sand+spider+burying+itself+

If it were in Asia and Georgia, maybe that means it was introduced as an invasive species to Georgia, but hasn’t yet spread through the rest of America?

Well, yeah.

Better recent article:

I think it is only a matter of when, not if, they spread widely in the US.

Holy crap. I feel Northern Georgia is alittle too close, for my safety.

I wish someone had nukes ready to blast them into teensy bits of nothing. Come on 3rd world countries! No yellow uranium laying around?

Anybody got a house I can live in? In, say Oregon or Washington? Maybe Alaska?

“I gotta get outta this place…”

Normally I would be all over trying to get daily photos of a large colorful spider, but in my first encounter with my Joro it was triggered to abandon its low, easily-accessable web to build one around 8 feet up and deeper in the brush. Now photographing it requires manually focusing the phone camera, putting it on a selfie stick, leaning forwards into the bushes with the stick held overhead, and blindly taking hundreds of photos in the hope that some will turn out okay. Thanks to a few fruitless attempts at that plus several days under the weather I have taken reasonable photos of the Joro only three times—the day I discovered it September 15th, September 29th, and most recently today, October 16th. Here are some of today’s best photos.

Along with getting bigger its appearance has changed in each encounter, in the most recent photos finally an apparently well-fed full adult. Falling leaves are starting to accumulate on the web, but she seems to have little interest in clearing them off.

With their being an introduced, possibly invasive species I probably should be bothered by the Joros arriving in the US, but having long had an interest in old Japanese folklore, I couldn’t be happer to be visited by one of the native Japanese creatures that feature in lots of old stories.

(Okay, maybe I’d be happier with a tanuki…)

(How cool is it that the random Imgur folder name starts with “bUg”?)

My mother is getting them in northeast GA, so it’s happening.

…and, if you have small children, they can ride the spider like a rocking horse.