Please stop using quote marks for emphasis.

What does an emphasis quoter see when they read quotes that mean “we’re just quoting what someone else said, but we don’t really believe it”, or are used to denote a euphemism? Are they oblivious to the connotation? It’s obvious that whoever wrote the sign advertising their vehicle graphics (“We ‘do it’ anywhere!”) is.

Does anyone here use quotes for emphasis? Is it news to you that it isn’t commonly understood to mean what you thought it did? How does someone come to view quotes as emphasis and not euphemism? I would think they would need to somehow be exposed to more examples of the former.

Or maybe using quotes for emphasis makes you look dumb because it’s clear that every time you saw them used you mistook it for emphasis and totally missed the subtext.

This is exactly what my mother does with most names and I’ve told her it comes across like she doesn’t believe I am who I am. :stuck_out_tongue: She, on the other hand, says she does it because she likes how it makes words look. So go figure.

There are any number of style guides out there. Wikipedia references some of them for the claim that using quotes for emphasis is incorrect usage.

Is this better?

You could suggest some alternatives like {Faithfool}. That’s certainly prettier than boring old quotes.

Until recently,* people putting together amateur newsletters and the like did not usually have the option of using different colors or fonts. (A typist could simulate bold print by backspacing and over-typing, but the results weren’t always satisfactory.) OK, so underlining was available, but wasn’t always aesthetically pleasing. (The underscore crossed through the descenders of some letters, as well as reducing the space between lines, and sometimes could come out with gaps or a jagged appearance.) Some sign makers (I’m thinking specifically of the kind of signs that uses individual preprinted letters) still have similar limitations.

• “Recently” being a conveniently vague term.

If there is no other way to indicate emphasis, such as when you can’t use bold or italics, this is what I use. (This goes back to my time in early 1990s CompuServe chatrooms.)

I tried that and asterisks too, but she insists that she likes her way better. Maybe if I told her that the whole of the Dope was laughing behind her back… naw, wouldn’t faze her a bit.

Thanks for the thought though.

Reserve a hotel room for Jim Smith and his “wife.”