Please tell me about home hot water recirculating pumps (for instant hot water)

Here’s an excerpt from a fairly recent post of mine wherein I evangelized about the system I got about 10 years ago.

I would totally do that again if I lived in a single-family house or even a condo with long enough pipe runs. I’m not endorsing that brand and model specifically, but just that general concept of a recirc system.

The biggest concern for you is whether you can adequately insulate the hot water lines. If your lines were embedded in a slab, then insulation is out of the question and the operating cost would be noticeably high. Conversely, most of my runs were along the exposed joists in the unfinished basement. So in a semi-climate controlled area and readily accessible to slip foam sleeves over the majority of the hot water line runs. In my case the operating cost was truly negligible even if the pump was active 24/7/365.

The result is not “instant” hot water, but it’s warm in 5 seconds and hot in 10 seconds even 100 feet from the HWH. Magic I tells 'ya!

Here’s a quote of another poster in another thread with cites to potentially useful articles.

I’ll also point out that in the part of my post I did not excerpt I mention another handy hot water gizmo: truly instant near-boiling water for your kitchen sink. Super handy for cooking, making tea, etc. Not useful for washing. If that might be of interest to you, check out the rest of my earlier post.