Plot holes that ruin movies

. . . that and the guy/girl was the placekicker at a university (Stetson University) that hasn’t had a football team since 1957.

I didn’t realize this until just now, but imdb.com has a whole list of “2012” goofs.

My favorite one is that assuming nutrinos superheated the earth’s core, wouldn’t they have cooked the earth’s surface - and all us on it - first, since the nutrinos would pass through the surface to get to the core?

Not sure what bothers you abou that sequence. Diesel/electric subs run on the surface except when engaged in active attack/defense.

A run from one port to another might never require a submersion, if they do not happen to encounter an enemy vessel or aircraft.

Sure.

But the operative word here is “might”.

Would you count on a submarine not submerging at any time while it makes its run to port?

Didn’t think so. :slight_smile:

Except WWII had not yet started when the U-Boat was transporting the Ark. So it could have travelled alongside a Royal Navy warship completely safely. BUT Indie riding the sub is still ludicrous because there would have been crew topside. Not just in the tower, but all over the top taking care of business.

In the movie, Ace tracked down everyone from the team and examined their rings. True, all we saw were humorous scenes of him examining rings while people were wearing them, but it’s possible there were some boring B&E jobs to look at rings being stored in dressers and the like.

True, but when they did run above the surface, they had several people on the conning tower as lookouts, conning the boat, etc. It’s unlikely no one would notice a non-sailor tied to the railing.

Me? No, of course not.

But I am a coward, and not a swashbuckling archeologist.

Secrecy was a big part of the project, telling the world would have resulted in complete anarchy and chaos. Sure, some people would have survived in blimps or subs but there would have been ZERO chance at building anything resembling the arks. That’s also why they were built inside mountains and not on a drydock somewhere. Personally what really really bugged me was the death of the hot blonde russian. Really what the hell is the point of those self shutting doors if water can still get through and the room has a mesh ceiling? and just how the hell did her room get filled first when she was in the middle room?

It’s interesting that no one has actually mentioned a plot hole yet.

It’s just been a listing of things that the poster decided was implausible. Sometimes it was, other times it wasn’t, but some of these things were just dramatic license used to make the film interesting. A work of fiction is about the story, not the accuracy.

As for an actual plot hole, how about Alien, when no one considered just opening the doors and giving the alien a taste of explosive decompression? A good plot would have made it clear that this wasn’t an option. Alien pretended that no one would notice.

Batman Begins
I was able to get over it and still enjoy the movie but I will agree that the “turns water to steam” microwave weapon that somehow spares humans was a rather stupid thing to try to pass off on the audience.

The airliners in holding patterns over the airport were still in danger even after Col. Stuart and his men had left their hideout. The air traffic equipment at the airport was still not working, and the duplicates in the church were booby trapped. I think the idea was that once Stuart was safely away, he’d give them a code to disarm the explosives and allow the planes to land. When McClain lit the trail of jet fuel, it not only wiped out Stuart’s plane, but provided light for the circling planes to land.

Which brings up a bunch more potential plot holes. Where was Stuart planning to fly to? Would he consider himself safe in international airspace off the east coast? If not, would any of the circling airliners still have any fuel by the time he got where he was going? And when did the weather clear up enough to land by lights alone?

And, yeah, the idea of looking for a transmitter was ridiculous. Every plane at the airport has a transmitter on it.

High Tension. As the review said, it had plot holes not only big enough to drive a truck through, but in fact did drive a truck through them.

Plus the fact that there’s dozens of airports within spitting distance of Dulles. None of the planes running low on fuel thought to divert to BWI, or Philly, or anywhere else?

Yeah but they were all busy because of Christmas. :wink:

In Tears of the Sun a highly trained and motivated SEAL team led by a respected veteran is inserted into the Nigerian jungle for a covert op to extract Dr. Lena Fiore Kendricks with a secondary mission to extract a missioner priest and two nuns. Once there the doctor refuses to leave without hundreds of villagers that will surly perish at the hands of a enemy death squad. She shouts and cries a little so the Lieutenant disregards his orders and puts his entire team and mission at risk to drag the refuges through the jungle.

If I led that SEAL team and she refused to go she’d get a rifle butt to the face and slung over my shoulder. Done.

The planes didn’t divert to their alternates because the pilots didn’t know anything was wrong. The Dulles controllers (actually Col. Stuart’s men, but they didn’t know that) were telling them to hold. They probably told them that conditions were as bad, or worse, at the nearby alternates.

In those cases where the real controllers were able to contact the planes (there’s a line where they mention reaching some of them on the Airfones), they did divert.

That movie has some big plot holes, to be sure, I just don’t think that’s one of them.

I just pretend the weapon is focused and aimable.

Alien doesn’t stand up too great to close examination. A friend of mine loves to compare the plot of that movie to a tiger getting loose aboard a modern submarine and almost winning.

Not quite. In fact, that was precisely what the crew were attempting to do AFTER they had hunted the creature down. In the scene just following the chest-bursting scene, when the crew still think they’re hunting a small creature, they are planning their strategy for hunting it, Parker specifically states “once we get it in a net, we take it to the nearest airlock and flush it out into space.”

Simply putting on life-support suits, opening all the airlocks and waiting for it to eventually flush out of the ship wouldn’t work at all. Given how vast the ship was (and how narrow a lot of the hallways were) it probably would have taken weeks for all the air to get sucked out, and by that time the creature would have sensed something was up and hunkered down in a cocoon. (Given the fossilized state of the “Giger” ship they found the creature on, it is clear that the creature could survive a looooooooooooooong time in hostile environments.) Opening up the airlock would only work in a small, centralized enclosed ship the size of the escape shuttle.

Also factor in the acidic blood. A tiny droplet of it ate through several floors of hard steel. Even if the crew could engineer an atmospheric decompression that would be sudden enough to make the creature explode, that’s an awful lot of acid flying in every direction. How much damage would that have done?

I kind of imagine Harry Dean Stanton’s character suggesting trying something like that, and everyone else turning to look at him, rolling their eyes, and saying “go look for the cat…ALONE!”

None, as no decompression I have ever heard of would make someone explode, Outland notwithstanding.