So the old “My Very Excellent Mother Just Sent Us Nine” is sorely lacking now that Pluto’s been demoted from planethood . And we need a new acronym to help all those poor, confused elementary schoolers begging for a new mnemonic.
Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune.
MVEMJSUN
Let’s have at it!
Giles
August 24, 2006, 8:48pm
2
My vole eats muesli, just sending us nuts.
MVEMJSUN
Melodious Voices Enticing; Music Joyously Sung (Unless Nickelback).
Moving Vans Emerge. Michael Jackson Sued! Usurped: Neverland.
Movie: Venomous Evil Monsters! Jackson, Samuel Unbelievably Nettled!
You keep using that word… I do not think it means what you think it does.
Perhaps a mnemonic is in order?
Mark very easily made just stupendous Uruguayan nets.
MVEMJSUN
Martha very easily makes journal stories, unless naked.
[QUOTE=Only Mostly Dead]
So the old “My Very Excellent Mother Just Sent Us Nine” is sorely lacking now that Pluto’s been demoted from planethood .
[/QUOTE]
My very economical Mother just sent us nothing.
Knorf
August 24, 2006, 9:11pm
7
MVEMJSUN
Multiple vehicular encroachments maim Jesuits, some umbrellas nabbed
Mutant vermin-enriched medicine jars: startling undisclosed news
My vocabulary enhances my jokes, speeches usually neglected
Moose vasectomies, experts maintain. Justification: seriously ugly nonsense
I learned it as Mary’s Violet Eyes Make John Stay Up Nights, Period.
Just leave off the Period.
Mamboing vigilantly, Ed’s mother jinxed seven Urdu neophytes.
I don’t know how I came up with this one…
My visible erection made Justice Scalia unusually nervous.
Mnemonically vacuous expressions might just save us now
[QUOTE=Jackknifed Juggernaut]
I don’t know how I came up with this one…
My visible erection made Justice Scalia unusually nervous.
[/QUOTE]
awesome.
That’s a hell of an image there, Jackknife.
[QUOTE=Grammaticaster]
That’s a hell of an image there, Jackknife.
[/QUOTE]
One that I’m having difficulty purging from memory. :eek:
There were mnemonics before 1930, people, there must have been. What did people used to use the last time there were 8 planets?
KGS
August 25, 2006, 5:11am
16
All I do is memorize the track listing for Holst: The Planets . (So what if it’s out of order?)
Mercury Venus Earth Mars Jupiter Saturn Uranus Neptune.
What? That’s not memorable enough for you? All right, try this: Many vigilant eagles make javelins soar under nets.
[QUOTE=Jackknifed Juggernaut]
I don’t know how I came up with this one…
My visible erection made Justice Scalia unusually nervous.
[/QUOTE]
We have our answer.
A mod can close this thread now.
From the Metaquotes community on Livejournal:
My Very Eccentric Mother Just Served Us Nachos
My Very Excellent Mother Just Sent Us Ninjas
Cicero
August 25, 2006, 6:55am
20
Do you think those astronomers got sold a pup?