"Po-po?"

I’ve always heard it in rap songs, and from people I know who think it’s funny. Another in the same catagory would be “One time”.

Well, that explains it: as an old, East Coast white woman, I always called them “coppers.”

So how does it fit into Kevin Federline’s “Po-po Zao” that they mecilessly poke fun of on The Soup?

[QUOTE=velvetjones]
Count me among those who grew up hearing po-po as a name for your backside.

My mom even had this silly little diaper changing song that she used to sing that contained the phrase “pat 'em on the po-po”.
[/QUOTE]

Sis? Is that you???

(I’m freaked. I thought it was just my mom being weird.)

Heard as slang for the police in Oregon as early as 1982.

[QUOTE=Kalhoun]
Sis? Is that you???

(I’m freaked. I thought it was just my mom being weird.)
[/QUOTE]

Count me in as another who heard “pat em on the po po” as a child. However while po po did refer to one’s backside my mother never used it as part of a diaper changing song. “Pat em on the po po” was my mother’s term for a smack on the butt for misbehaving. “Knock it off or you all are going to get a pat on the po po!!”

Much like Ginger of the North I didn’t hear the term again until I became familiar with the habits of stoop kids and corner kids in West Baltimore. There it is used exclusively to mean police.

[QUOTE=Hampshire]
So how does it fit into Kevin Federline’s “Po-po Zao” that they mecilessly poke fun of on The Soup?
[/QUOTE]

Now, that has something to do with >ahem< patooties. And umlauts.

As a toddler, this was the term our family used to refer to that part of the body technically known as the “wee wee.”

I grew up in Virginia and am familiar with the term. I have also heard it used as a singular noun.

FWIW, I have never heard it used in a derogatory sense.

[QUOTE=Harriet the Spry]
As a toddler, this was the term our family used to refer to that part of the body technically known as the “wee wee.”
[/QUOTE]

Technically, it could be both a butt and a hoo-hoo. At our house.

I didn’t know what a vagina was til I was 37.

“Feet up! Pat 'em on the po-po! Let’s hear him laugh?”

It was a fairly popular novelty song in 1952.

Here’s a sound file of it.

[QUOTE=Kalhoun]
I didn’t know what a vagina was til I was 37.
[/QUOTE]

“Cooter” down here in the South.

Just lettin’ y’all know and trying to be helpful! :slight_smile:

Q

Californian weighing in here: I never heard the expression in Monterey, Marina, San Francisco, San Jose, Mountain View, Oakland, or Alameda.

[QUOTE=Starving Artist]
I live in the midwest and have heard it mainly from those in the meth/drug/underground culture.
[/QUOTE]
Aren’t straight lines supposed to be reserved for MPSIMS or the Pit?

:stuck_out_tongue:

Hey, I’m just glad that so far no one has pointed out that meth is a drug.

:stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=silenus]
Another Californian weighing in with “Heard it for quite awhile, always collectively.”
[/QUOTE]

Another Californian weighing in with ‘I have never heard the term before seeing it in the Pit thread’.

I’m a native Texan and I heard it here in the mid or late-90’s. Before then, I was probably too young anyway.

It sounds almost like another term for someone’s grandfather-similiar to “Pappap”.

I first heard it used on NYPD Blue, as Andy Sipowicz asks his young son if somebody touched him on the po-po.

When I first saw the thread title, my first thought was “one old lady shot another old lady?”

Popo is Chinese for “maternal grandmother” (Cantonese, I think).