Poetry Request.

Morning all.

I’m writing a letter to a friend of mine, and I thought that it would be a net idea to write the letter on the back of a poem. The first page of the letter is on the back of Questions About Angels, which is nice enough, but all other poems that I have to hand are all a bit miserable.

Any favourite poems, Dopers? They have to fit comfortably on the back of an A4 sheet of paper, and, as this letter is heading to a girl who’s just broken up with her long term boyfriend (two weeks before her exams start), anything a bit upbeat would be preferable. Or downbeat, even, but not The Hollow Men.

Thanking you in advance

Bump?

If you were to receive a letter from a friend, and on the back of the letter was a poem, what would you like that poem to be?

This is a pretty open-ended question. :slight_smile: Personally, if you were going to send me a letter on the back of a poem, I’d want it to be a poem that meant something to you, so what do you like?

One of my favorite poem’s is W.S. Merwin’s “To the Rain” (in the middle of this page), but…I already know that one, and I’d rather read something new to me. :slight_smile:

I suppose “Charge of the Light Brigade” is out of the question.

I always liked “Oranges” by Gary Soto. Might be a little long, though.

Especially for a woman, reading by Sue MacLeod.

Somebody’s transcribed it here. Not sure if it’s 100% accurate, though. I do have MacLeod’s book; I love the poem so much.

Might I suggest two by Walt Whitman? These are two of my favorite poems:

**What think You I take my Pen in Hand? **

and…

A Glimpse

They both have to do with friendship, so it could work well.

A bit of a sad one, but one that might help.

And nothing is ever as you want it to be.