Pokemon TCG and a Bricker Jr Treasure Trove

So as those interested in Pokemon may recall, Bricker Jr has been a Nintendo DS Pokemon player for quite some time, dating back to the release of Diamond/Pearl.

Along with that came a more generalized interest in all things Pokemon – T-shirts, stickers, etc. And of course, cards.

He did what I suspect is a very common thing for younger kids – collected the cards without any interest in learning or playing the actual TCG game. He expressed interest a couple of time, but I wasn’t too good or enthusiastic at showing him how to play, and while he did visit a local league location once, it never seemed to catch on.

Well, a month ago, it did. He’s learned the game, taught ME the game, and scooped up a whole bunch of the discarded cards in his room to discover some pretty solid playable deck choices.

And he kept insisting we had put a whole bunch of cards in the attic when we cleaned his room two years ago. We didn’t remember doing this, but he got more and more insistant.

So this morning, we gave in. And sure 'nough, there was a small plastic garbage bag with about 3,000 Pokemon cards in it.

Among these was a Uxie Lv. X card, which a card website offers to sell for $90, another couples of cards that run between $25-$50, and one that the site minously lists as “special order only.” Our of curiousity, I called and they said they’d try to find it for a $250 deposit, balance due when they were successful.

Wow.

Wow. Score!

I had a similar thing happen with a co-worker. His dad had been into Magic: The Gathering when it first started (per my co-worker, primarily to hit on barely legal girls), but had given up years earlier and handed the cards off to his son. He brought a box of them into the office, and he had a ton of high-value cards. I’m pretty sure I could have convinced him to part with the whole box for forty or fifty bucks, but I told him to take them to one of the card selling sites, where he’d be able to get some serious cash for them.

Having ethics sucks.

Keep in mind that like a lot of collectibles out there, what you can actually get for the cards and what stores charge for the cards are quite possibly very different. Especially if the cards aren’t in pristine condition.

Man Bricker you are the coolest dad. I wish I had picked up MtG when it first started instead of four years later during Ice Age. That’s not really the point I’m trying to make though. You know what I mean!

Even Ice Age was still pretty early, especially if you traded with players who’d been playing before then. And while Ice Age itself wasn’t worth much, there are similarly-old cards that are.

I don’t know if the Pokeman pricing structure works the same as other fad collectibles, but here’s my related tale…

A couple of months ago, I inherited a huge collection of Beanie Babies. I was informed that most should be for The Littlest Briston to play with, but that I should sort through them carefully as they were all in “mint condition with mint tags”, and some were “very valuable”. So I hit the intrawebs to try and get the scoop on Beanie Baby values, and I discovered something:

Every single Beanie Baby ever made is worth about $3.
Conversely, every single Beanie Baby ever made is worth about $2,000.

It’s all a matter of which site you check. And naturally, no one is actually willing to fork over that $2,000. So now I have two garbage bags full of bribes/rewards for TLB. Plus, I figure I can get maybe fifty bucks for the nice curio cabinet in which they came.