Political correctness or Outright defiance?

Political correctness today has gone out of conrtrol and is another word for denial. Racism still exists and just because we don’t say what we think because its not acceptable in public doesn’t mean these thoughts go away. The children still get their ideas from their parents good or bad and also from the friends they play with. Besides, the media cashes in on this because it knows the majority of the public still harbors these thoughts in their minds (sex,WB and their buffonish black jesters,etc…) and provides them as a release for this repression, which thereby continues the cycle. Is this public and legally imposed censorship or what?
I’m not telling everyone to buy a dictionary and start splurting out any word that makes them different but somethings gotta give, you can almost feel the tension…

I fully agree that black men come off looking like ridiculous buffoons on the typical WB network sitcom, but you conveniently overlook something:

It isn’t WHITE people who watch Martin Lawrence and Steve Harvey, it’s BLACK people!!

Don’t take my word for it, look at the Nielsen ratings, which are broken down by race. NONE of the racist sitcoms you condemn rate in the top 40 among white audiences. Virtually ALL of them are in the top ten among black viewers.

So, the old adage “Physician, heal thyself” comes to mind. If black Americans don’t like what they see on the WB, they should stop watching it. If, on the other hand, this is REALLY the kind of entertainment they like, they should quit griping.

I think rapper Ice Cube said it best in a move that was and remains very un-PC for a black or white man to say, on a track called “Us” off of his Death Certificate album. [Following edited by David B – see the link at the bottom for the full text of the lyrics.]

“Could you tell me who released our animal instinct?
Got the white man sittin’ there tickled pink.
Laughin’ at us on the avenue
Bustin’ caps at each other after havin’ brew
We can’t enjoy ourselves
Too busy jealous… Of each other’s wealth
Commin’ up is just in me
But the Black community is full of envy
Too much back-stabbin’
While I look up the street I see all the japs grabbin’
Every vacant lot in my neighborhood
Build a store, and sell their goods”
[…]

http://ohhla.com/anonymous/ice_cube/death/us.cub.txt

Yer pal,
Satan
[Note: This message has been edited by David B]

…and I refuse to be PC about groups that call themselves religions. Wiccans and Pagans are just a cult or sect. Their “witches” and “magik” make me laugh…what a fucking joke!

Contestant #3

Sorry, Satan, had to cut that down – posting full song lyrics here is a no-no. Thanks for the link, though, so people can still go find them. In the future, please just post a few salient quotes and that link, and that’ll be fine.

David B, SDMB Great Debates Moderator

Not only do the black men on The WB come off looking like buffoons but stop an think; most men on sitcoms are idiots.

For example how many shows have we had where a man can single handed raise a kid or kids. It’s My Two Dads, on My Three Sons they had a grandfather then an uncle. “Full House” had not one, two, but THREE dads. It’s as if men are incapable of changing a diaper by themselves on TV.

So I don’t think necessarily it’s a race thing.

I think…perhaps all these folk callin’ midgets “vertically challenged” an’ black folk “people of color” are just trying to sound more intelligent. The more words with the more syllables ya use, the more people’ll be like, “Wow! That person’s SMART! Let’s copy him/her!” And eventually ya gots the whole world saying long drawn-out thingamajiggers.

And also, it’s not just racism anymore. Here at my school, kids’ll shun folk if they don’t live in one of two different “high class” neighborhoods. Typical conversations between two folk who don’t know each other go as such:

Snobby Person: Hi. I’m _____.
Plain Person: I’m __-- (gets cut off)
Snobby Person: Where do you live?
Plain Person: From…um…such-and-such place.
Snobby Person: HAHAHA! Get lost, loser. You’re from the ghetto neighborhood. (walks off)

I’m sadly not uh, exaggerating. I’ve had this exact same thing happen to me, me being Plain Person acourse. Ain’t it sad the state of affairs nowadays?

[[ I refuse to be PC about groups that call themselves religions. Wiccans and Pagans are just a cult or sect. ]] C3
Well THERE’S an intelligent distinction.

Thank Big Iron. It’s nice to see you agreeing with me for a change! I especially admire the articulate and thorough manner in which you word your response.

Contestant #3

I try to know enough about a group of people so that I won’t insult them. If I know that saying something with insult someone, no amount of justification, whether it is,“You didn’t mind when he said it”, or,“The historical background of this word show that it isn’t really an insult”, excuse what is actually just boorish behavior.

Hehehe. All I know is that…well, I’m related to a bunch of “mentally ill” folk…I’ve got a touch of that, but eh, I’d rather be called “psycho” or “insane” rather than…ahah, “mentally ill”. It’s more insulting to me.

Snappy, The Crazy Toddite - Friend of Skippy

Contestant #3 wrote:

So were Christians before the 4th century.

You know, the term “politically correct” bugs the hell out of me. The only time I hear it used any more is when someone says,“I’m not (racist/sexist/homophobic/rude/inconsiderate),I’m politically incorrect!” like it’s a right-wing badge of honor. I just think it’s a piss-poor excuse.

The term “piss-poor” is getting used quite frequently today. I nominate “piss-poor” as the SDMB “term of the day”

Contestant #3

OK, what it comes down is this: People will use “politically correct” terminology to shield themselves from the rampant intolerance of the most litigious society in the world, and it becomes a crutch in “polite” conversation. And you’re right, Snappy - it also becomes a way to sound intelligent, or, worse yet - to “intelligently” insult someone.

The crux of the matter is the refusal to accept personal responsibility for one’s own words and actions, and the all-too-common closed-minded approach to the views of others.

Of course, that’s just my opinion . . . But I know I’m right.