Poll: Any guys shave their pits?

I was inspired by a thread about chest hair when I noticed that a few guys mentioned shaving their armpits. I am a fairly hairy guy myself (though not back hair) and have been doing this for about 20 years (am 44). It is now a once-a-week SOP. I started doing this because I have relatively hairy armpits, and antiperspirant would never really get the job done for a long enough period of time. By the end of the day, I was a little too ripe. Plus, the hairs would stick together and pull when I moved. Very annoying.

FWIW, I otherwise like body hair on men. Just not pit hair. For those contemplating this, I have to say don’t worry too much about itching. It feels a little odd the first time, then when you get used to it it becomes second nature. For those concerned about appearing effeminate, don’t worry. It’s actually fairly difficult to notice.

Guys?

I did it once. While drunk. Purely for entertainment value. It itched when it grew back in, and I walked around for a week or so scratching my pits like a monkey.

I did it about 3 weeks ago and I’m glad. I’m not only a total fuzzbutt, but I perspire like a malaria patient. No itching yet, I’m comfier, and my shirt stains are less severe.

I don’t shave down to the skin, no, but it’s definitely short. I prefer it because I smell better (or at least, less bad), I sweat less, it’s more comfortable, and I prefer how it looks.

I also trim but don’t shave. It makes me smell less bad and my antiperspirant works better that way as well.

I keep them shaved. I tried it once and found it comfortable and all-round nice.

Ditto.

Good lord, don’t you all realize that the best thing about being non-female is not having to do things like that? Mark my words – once you start shaving your armpits, it’s not going to stop until you’re wearing pantyhose and spike heels and putting on your face like Tammy Faye Bakker.

Don’t make me cry! I mean it!

I do everynow and then, when the whim strikes. Otherwise I keep them trimmed down.

It never even occurred to me to do so until it was brought up here on the Dope. So, nope.

I’m a very hairy guy. This includes my pits. Thus, I trim my pit hair using a pair of nail scissors every month or so. The goal is to reduce the amount of hair and to help my anti-perspirant work better. Shaving the hair completely, in my mind, is just asking for ingrown hairs and itching when it grows back. Trimming works better for me. I do not trim my chest hair, but can be talked into shaving my back hair during the summer. Real men are hairy. Sorry.

I know what you mean. I feel bad for those poor half-men in Asia and Africa ;).

A few years ago I was between professional jobs; so I started working as a cab driver to cover bills.

I’d never done it before, but when you’re sitting in a parking lot on a Phoenix July night in between calls and not running the AC to save on gas, even those of us with good hygiene ripen up pretty quickly.

I started doing it then and I’ve never stopped. I very much prefer it.

I shave my pits.

The first time was because I “just didn’t feel ‘fresh,’” and it seemed like an extreme but necessary measure, although I felt a bit weird about it.

It felt a bit uncomfortable at first – I was very conscious of an alien ‘skin-on-skin’ feeling there. Almost chafey. (Maybe just razor sensitivity?)

After that went away and I got used to it, though – I prefer it. So much cleaner and more comfortable. I’m not obsessive about keeping it down to the skin or anything like that, but I raze it down whenever I have the time and inclination – at the same time I remember to tweeze out the few stupid-looking hairs that grow on my chest. :smiley:

I gotta say, every once in a while, I get Tori Amos running through my head: “She’s your cocaine/She’s got you shaving your legs…” but I think that would be a bit much. Safe bet that my GF would be a little put off by that – although I sometimes hate having all that hair there. (I look like a goddamned faun, and it’s uncomfortable.)

I once made the mistake of shaving the “treasure trail” that leads from my navel to the pubic area. For some reason, I figured it was too unkempt. Boy, does that area ever look wrong when shaved. Oh my god.

Clipped but not shaven. I think it looks better with short sleeves not to have hair billowing out. Not sure how it looks in sleeveless t-shirts.

Wow, I only shave my face when IMHO it’s too disgusting for anyone else to see, never mind that the rest of me ain’t all that hot to begin with. I can’t even imagine shaving something nobody’s going to see anyway.

Maybe it is a good thing I live in a cave.

That’s what happened the only time I shaved them with a razor. These days, I shave them every now and then, maybe once a month. It looks better, I need less antipersperant, and besides, the way pit hair looks when it gets long and the deodorant turns it into those stalactite things- it’s just gross. I’ve shaved my shoulders a few times, too, but it’s a lot of work.

Well, I Nair them; I suppose that counts. I also buzz down the rest of the body hair every two weeks or so. I dont have a sense of smell or a girlfriend to keep me posted BO wise, so I get a little paranoid.

Hmmm. I don’t. Oddly, despite having a thoroughly hairy chest and abdomen, luxuriant facial hair when I choose to grow it, and a back that is daily inching closer to “furry”, I’ve never had but the barest wisps of hair under my arms.