Poll for religious and non religious Dopers

Agnostic.
So, I suppose I’m a 1 - though the belief I have is that there is no concrete proof of anyone’s beliefs - including my own.

Athiest:
How about "I have my beliefs and everybody else is wrong! :smiley:

(I’m SO kidding)

Atheist.

1. I wish other people would believe the same as me.

Christian.

1. I have my beliefs, other people have theirs.

I wish people would try to understand my beliefs (and at least acknowledge that not all Christians are gay-hating fundies), but it doesn’t bother me when someone isn’t a Christian. Generally, the only time I bring up my religion (outside of church or whatever) is to try to get someone to see that liberal Christians do, in fact, exist.

Atheist.

I’m so much in the “I have my beliefs; others have theirs” camp that I almost didn’t bother to post at all.

I do like to talk about religion and atheism, but only when it’s welcomed by all involved. I no longer participate in arguments about such topics, and I politely walk away from would-be proselytizers.

Oh good, this thread is coming along nicely. Oh, and not important, but since others are posting what they are, I am a Roman Catholic.

Well, for the purposes of this thread it is.

All of them, really, with the clarification that “I wish others would believe the same as I do” means just that, and that although I feel compelled to share my beliefs, I have the self-control to not share them when it’s inappropriate or just plain annoying to do so.

Agnostic / (spiritual) atheist-ish maybe kinda I dunno guy checking in here:

Lots of 1, and a little 3 in certain situations such as say, at a bar with friends, or on these boards, or when somebody else is getting in my face with their beliefs (generally, I keep my beliefs to myself though).

When it comes to believing what happens after death I don’t care what other people believe. As long as it does not affect the way they live in this life.

I think that the only reason not to be ignorant is to spot problems before they happen. Death is inevitable and can not be stopped. Believing in an afterlife is just fine as it does not really impend your abilities to stop death.

When it comes to living your own life I wish people would believe what I believe. Sometimes I want some people to believe in crazy religious text because it makes me feel kinda smart.

I meant to say that what you believe will happen to you after your death will not change the outcome. So it does not really matter (in the future with better technology it might).

Atheist, and almost always #1. I enjoy talking about my views when it’s called for (or, more of the time, when I can do something funny with it), but I don’t try and talk people into or out of things. When I get very annoyed I sometimes wish that people did share my views on topics somewhat related to religion, like “get with the 20th century already.”

Christian Heretic.

1.)Leave me alone, I leave you alone. Capice?

Basically agnostic, with some tweaks.

And I don’t care what anyone believes, so long as they’re happy and don’t try to convert me - so that’d make me a (1).

In real life 1 - I have my belief, live and let live - but on the internet, strokes of compulsive-obsessive 3/2.

Big A Agnostic little a atheist.

Mostly 1, but i’m a 3 when observe that someone’s beliefs are merely parroted with no thought behind it. Of course I try to only share when it is acceptable.

Atheist, 1 all the way. I don’t even really understand wishing for/wanting other people to share my beliefs. Understand them, yes, but hold them? Eh, whatever.

Hmmm. 1, and 2.

#1 Because my business is my business. Works both ways.

#2 Because of the religious fanatics in the world.

I don’t need religion to tell me what’s right. I believe in many of the Christian concepts, or perhaps they believe in mine.

I don’t need a religious organization/business to tell me what is right or wrong. Morals, kindness and consideration for others doesn’t come in a box.

Exactly.

Religion can be fascinating as subject matter as long as people aren’t trying (or trying too hard) to convert you.

I have experienced and I continue to experience all 4 states, depending on the circumstances. I do believe everyone has a right to believe as she wishes. Persistent proselytizing is annoying and futile. Open discussion is healthy.