(Poll) Which of the Great Lakes do you think is the Greatest?

I have a tee shirt that I bought last summer that says “LAKE ERIE: Some lakes are greater than others.” Being a Clevelander, I’m partial to Lake Erie. I find it to be the greatest because it’s closest to me.

You may have a different reason for which lake you consider to be the greatest. I don’t care what your reason is, just vote (share if you must). Many of you may have no opinion on the Lakes whatsoever. That’s fine - don’t vote. Or vote because you want to be included.

There can only be one GREATEST Great Lake!

• Huron
  • Ontario
  • Michigan
  • Erie
  • Superior

0 voters

Superior. It’s in the name.

The Chicago lakefront, the Indiana dunes, Milwaukee, Mackinac Island…

Lake Michigan stands heads and shoulders above the rest!

Plus we don’t have to share Lake Michigan with dorky Canada.

Lake Huron wants its island back.

Lake Char­gogg­a­gogg­man­chaugg­a­gogg­chau­bun­a­gung­a­maugg.

Superior is the prettiest, but Michigan wins for all-around beach life.

But Mackinac island is essentially bathed in the refreshing waters of Lake Michigan flowing under the bridge. If it was deep in the middle of Huron, it wouldn’t be half as nice.

I’m pretty sure that the “great” in “great lakes” means “big”. Superior is the biggest lake, so it’s the greatest, by that interpretation.

Where’s the Champlain option?

I voted for Erie in the poll because it’s probably been most important historically, but they’re all too cold for me :smiley:

I vote with Mr. Lightfoot.

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee
The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead
When the skies of November turn gloomy

Hmm, tough logic to crack.

Right now Michigan is in the lead. I shoulda expected this, posting on a Chicago-centric board.

Hydrologically, Michigan and Huron are the same lake.
For wilderness value, it has to be Superior (esp the north shore near Puckaskwa National Park)
(It also has Isle Royale, Apostle Islands and Pictured Rocks)
Michigan does have Newport SP, Rock Island SP, and Sleeping Bear Dunes
(I’m not familiar enough with the other lakes to comment)

Brian
(Lake Baikal as a write-in)

Ontario. Duh.

I love Lake Michigan (grew up in Chicago and have spent many days in various lakefront places in WI, IN, and MI). But Lake Superior beats it out, sorry. It’s really in a league of its own.

Superior, although I must confess I’ve only ever been on the shores of Lake Erie.

Tough call. Lake Huron rolls. Superior sings in the rooms of her ice-water mansion. Old Michigan steams like a young man’s dreams, The islands and bays are for sportsmen. And farther below Lake Ontario takes in what Lake Erie can send her. Who can choose?

Lake Huron. Not so much the main lake itself, but some of its adjacent areas – notably Georgian Bay and the North Channel – are among the most beautiful places in the world for motor or sailboat cruising. If you’re into photography, you can point your camera almost anywhere and it ends up looking like a painting. This is a little bay where we anchored for the night, just before firing up the barbecue for dinner.

That is beautiful! I’m most familiar with the big 3 lakes. but I cannot play favorites.

Black rocks swimming hole Marquette MI Lake Superior

Read the photographer’s account of what happened that day after he was filming in a strong gale

I’m pretty familiar with all of them. Lake Michigan in my sentimental favorite, but it would be hard to argue against the awesomeness that is Lake Superior.

mmm

Two words for you Lake Superior voters: black flies.