Poll: Working 9 to 5. Or not?

I’ve worked all of the hours on the clock, but currently it’s 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM. Although I’ve enjoyed corporate hours for a few years now, the facts of the matter are that I couldn’t hold it all together without turning in a few Saturday or Sunday afternoon hours.

I like it then. Nobody steps into my office with right now tasks, and I can think through the stuff that I am not as good at as my boss thinks I am, as, say, budgeting.

Right now, I don’t want to talk about it. This week I’ve worked from when I got out of classes (either 11:30 or 1, depending) with about an hour and half off for dinner, until 11 or 12 at night. Tuesday and Wednesday I never made it home, catching about 4 and a half hours sleep on the couch at work. But this craziness will end tomorrow, I swear. I’m not being chased by a deadline, no.

Echo of my thoughts/practices exactly. I work 9 to 5:30 as well, and although it’s generally frowned upon in this country (Japan) to not work late, I never ever do. It’s just not worth it. (Since I’m a foreigner living here, it’s generally accepted though, because “we’re different”…)

I normally start at 8:30 and go home anywhere between 4:30 and 6:00, depending on my workload. My official work day is 7.5 hours.

I work from 12-8pm because we deal with many clients on the west coast (who are working regular 9-5 jobs), that includes a paid lunch hour. I commute an hour back and forth so I leave at 10:30am and return home by 9:30pm unless I have to stay late.

Wednesday through Friday and every other weekend, 2 to 10:30 p.m. with a half hour lunch. I like it. I get to stay up late, and every other week I get a four-day weekend.

I get to work between 6:15-6:25, usually leave between 5 and 6: I occasionally slip out as early as 4:30, I occasionally stay as late as 9. 30 minutes for lunch, and about 10 hours of grading on the average weekend.

But for 10 weeks of summer I get to work when I want.

8:30 to 5:15…to this day after 4 years here I haven’t figured out why they both with 5:15. We all wind up stuck in rush hour traffic behind everyone else that left at 5.

I usually work 9:30am or 10am to 6pm. I usually work though lunch and if my hours are short for the week, I come in on Sunday.

We have heavy flex hours. I usually work 9 - 6:45 or so, depending on what I’m doing,except when I have calls at 7 or 8 am. Now I have my VPN set up I stay home for these and commute after they are done. I also usually check mail during the night. I’ve got vaguely work related hobbies, like running conferences, that take me to the wee hours of the morning. Writing papers is also done at night.
It’s much better than when I was in the processor design business, where the hours were 8 am - 8:30 pm (they provided dinner.) And we weren’t even close to tapeout yet.

In the job I work at now…

I started from 4:00pm - midnight
went to noon - 8 pm
went to midnight-8AM
went to 9-5
went to 8-4
now back to 4-midnight
Next month, I’ll be back to 8-4 for 2 months
then back to 4-midnight.

I worked at a warehouse from 9-4:45. It was supposed to be 9-5 but the workers voted and wanted a 45 minute lunch and leaving 15 minutes early.
(It was rare that we had much work to do after 3:30 or so)

Leave campus at 10:45, get to the office at 11, leave at 4.