Poll: Working 9 to 5. Or not?

I work 8:30-5:30 with an hour for lunch.

I’m 9 to 5:30, except I rarely leave on the dot. I also usually take work home about twice a week. I limit myself to 45 hours/week, though, since that’s all they deserve for what they pay me.

6-2:30. Well, kind of. I pretty much can get in when I want and kind of leave when I want because I also work from home besides the office and am doing school. It’s a very flexible deal and I’m very lucky.

I’m a 9-5-er, usually, though I have a fairly lexible day, so I can work 8:30-4:30, or 10-6 or whatever when I feel like it.

I am a salaried employee and we only have a 35-hour work week. So that’s a 7-hour work day, with 1 hour for lunch.

In between 7:00 and 8:30am, out between 5 and 7pm…although I have had night way later than 7. Occassionally I leave at 3pm but come back at 3am due to conference calls with our european regional offices

I’m a graduate teaching assistant, so I’m really only formally “working” (teaching) 4 hours plus 2 office hours weekly. However, I have 80 students (started with 96!!) in my 2 sections and they turn in Office projects bi-weekly, so I have to grade those and that’s probably a good 6 hours there, plus prepping and answering e-mails and things like that definitely take me up to the good 20 hrs/week I’m supposed to put in. (My boss is a TA since there’s not currently a coordinator, and he works well over 30!!!)

I work in retail, so you’d expect I’d have strange hours, but there are two full-timer shifts in my department - 9-5:30 and 12:30-9 (half hour unpaid lunch breaks, but we have the option to take full hours if we want, and sometimes do if we’re planning on going out). I work the second shift three days a week and the morning shift two days; if I get the promotion I’m working for, I’ll probably be switched to mornings all week.

I work 7am to 5pm with an hour off (unpaid) for lunch. That’s a 9-80 schedule. I work 9 hours a day, except on alternate Fridays I work 8. The other Friday I have off (supposedly.) But I get paid hourly, so if I have to come in on my Friday off, I get time-and-a-half.

Currently I work a 4/10 swing shift, 2 p.m. - midnight ( I get paid lunches, as I am technically always on call ), Wed/Thu/Fri off. The 4/10 schedule was a one time, one year bribe from management to get me to work swing with no part of the weekend when they were desperate after fucking up royally on the scheduling ( I started this year working days, Mon-Fri, 6 a.m. - 2 p.m. ).

Next year ( starting mid-January ) I am currently scheduled to work 2 p.m. - 10 p.m. with Sun/Mon off. I could probably wangle a trade with my compadre that I share swing with and trade my Sun for his Fri and talk the boss into letting me get Thu/Fri off. Haven’t decided on that yet. I will try to argue for at least a 9/80 schedule, but I doubt I will get it due to the new ( totally fucked ) relief system they have put in place.

• Tamerlane

When I go back to my real full-time job I hope to get back on the 3:30pm to 2:15am shift.

Out the door at 10, hour drive, at my desk at 11:05, leave at 7, back home 8ish.

I usually get in a bit before 8 am, and I leave around 5 pm. I hardly ever take a lunch break, I just eat something at my desk.

My day can begin anywhere between 5:30 and 10:30. Lately, I’ve been coming in around 9 and staying until 5:30 plus an hour of overtime, minus an hour for lunch and one 15-minute break. We’re supposed to get two breaks but I’m not taking both. :slight_smile:

Oh man, Dolores, I had a 9/80 schedule for three years, and I absolutely loved it. It was great having every other Friday off.

Paid lunch? what? And an hour?! Wow, that’s even more surprising than people working 9 to 5. I work 7.75 hours (plus have to take a 1/2 hour unpaid lunch, which can’t be extended or skipped - bringing my time there up to 8.25+ hours.) and get 2 paid 15 minute breaks.

I work from about 8 am to 4:30 pm, with occasional night work (about an hour once every week). It’s a little odd; since I don’t really get breaks and lunch is always a working lunch. Plus there’s prep time.

On the other hand, I get lots of vacation time. :slight_smile:

Most days I work from about 8:15 until about 6:00

8-5, somewhat flexible (e.g. 9-6). Thank God I’m not on salary anymore. My days never ended then. Used to go in weekends and nights just so I could work without interruption. Good-bye to all that – and good riddance!

My hours change semester to semester because I teach college classes. I also do intermittent reading for placement tests when needed.

Right now, I leave after 7am just to have some time to chat before I teach my 8am class, which ends around 9:15. That’s on MW only. On Wed. I also teach a 1-4pm, and on Fridays I teach from 2-5.
Placement test readings are usually three hours a pop, but the days keep changing.
Next semester will be similar except that I will have two Friday classes instead of one.

10:45 a.m. to 5-6 p.m., Wednesday through Sunday.

I need one of those 9-5, Monday-Friday, jobs so I can sleep like a normal person and get normal weekends.

fondly recalls high school when “normal” was the last thing she wanted to be