Pooh Sticks

Whilst tramping along the banks of the Naylor’s Run Creek with my extended family this weekend, I was able to introduce two of my nephews to the classic Milne game of Pooh Sticks.

They, like my son before them, were immensely pleased with the game and we had to drag them from the bridge e’re it got to dark to find the car.

I believe this may be the most perfect game in the world. No winners. No losers. Fresh air. And, if done correctly, you may again see the wonders of the world through a child’s eyes.

Now excuse me, I must gather some more sticks…

The previous post should read, of course, too dark.

There are winners and losers, but you’re still right. It’s a great game.

Excellent game! Of course if one player falls in, the other player better not throw rocks at him to make the waves carry him to shore.

What is pooh sticks? How do I play?

Pooh sticks! sigh It’s things like that that make me miss having a little one. And do you also do your stoutness exercises everyday?

Bear_Nenno - Pooh and his pals throw sticks into the water off one side of a bridge, then race to the other side to see whose stick comes out first. I don’t know if this ever showed up in a Milne book, but it’s on one of the Pooh videos.

Chapter VI In Which Pooh Invents a New Game and Eeyore Joins In

Pooh, while carrying a fir-cone, and trying to think of a rhyme for it…

pp. 237-238 of the McClelland & Steward edition (copyright 1957) including both WINNIE-THE-POOH and THE HOUSE AT POOH CORNER

They’re a great band, too, the Pooh Sticks.

Well, at work we have something we call poo sticks, but they’re far too gross for little kids to play with.

When I was a kid the parking lot to a local fast food joint was across a covered footbridge from the restaurant itself. My brothers and I almost always played Pooh sticks on that bridge, watching them vanish under the bridge, then turning to see who won.

CJ

When we played at the bridge down at the local park, after a good rain, half the race was to get to the other side of the bridge before the sticks did!!!

:slight_smile: Good times…

Grim

Space Pooh Sticks and a big glass of Tang…

I didn’t remember my Milne at first, and I was sure this was going to be a lieu style thread…

I like this one better.

There was a Winnie-the-Pooh special on some channel last night that apparently my SO was half watching while I was studying. Suddenly I heard him exclaim, “Wha? Did they just say they invented a game called Pooh Sticks? What the hell are Pooh Sticks?” I shrugged and replied that I didn’t know.

I’m so glad this thread was here this morning; it’s very timely. Consider us both enlightened.

What, you don’t believe in hooshing people to the bank? Where’s the fun of Poohsticks if you can’t get hooshed?

Sigh. I really need to find a bridge around here. And some sticks. And some time.

As boys we’d try and play Pooh Sticks but invariably by the time the “sticks” had reached the other side it had already deteriorated into a game of Sink Your Buddy’s Battleship.

Yes it does.

It was also used to illustrate a point made in the legendary not-Milne book The Tao of Pooh.

If you happen to be in Oxofrdshire next year, you can enter the Pooh Sticks World Championship, if not, you can play Pooh Sticks on your PC. The rules can be found here.

Chapter VI In Which Pooh Invents a New Game and Eeyore Joins In

That is my absolute favorite Chapter out of both books. I am so happy that my son loves those stories. I get to read them for bedtime stories frequently. In fact, last night we read Chapter VIII In which Christopher Robin leads an Expotition to the North Pole.

Sing Ho! For the life of a Bear!