Popcorn poppers and popcorn

I use a cast iron frying pan, with a lid. Because the frying pan has little “spouts” on each side to pour off oil, it vents pretty well. I use olive oil or sometimes goose fat or duck fat to pop the corn. I shake it once or twice, but don’t stress over it. A few kernals don’t pop. A couple burn. I eat them anyway. But I don’t understand the concern with losing >1% of the popcorn, even if you don’t eat them.

Oh – I do pre-heat the oil. I put two kernals in the cold oiled pan, and when THEY swell and/or pop, I add the rest. My frying pan works well with 1/3 cup of kernals.

I bet my wok would work just as well, but it’s much larger than the frying pan, so more awkward to fish out from under the counter. It’s also more of a nuisance to clean. But now I’m tempted to try it…

I think the issue for most folks isn’t so much that they’re losing ~1% of the product so much as concerned about the prospect of unexpectedly cracking teeth on unpopped kernels. It can be not only uncomfortable and unappealing, but quite expensive if it results in dental problems.

Own-brand popping corn (so Sainsbury’s most often, as that’s where I tend to shop), big saucepan, dribble of sunflower oil, and three or four kernels to listen out for so I know it’s up to temperature. Throw in a big handful of kernels and a sprinkle of salt once the test ones have popped, shake vigorously over a fairly fierce hob…and when I can’t hear anything else happening, that’s pretty much it done. I don’t think I’ve even even seen a corn popper, let alone used one.

Yeah, those hobs can get pretty nasty. :wink:

Don’t they harmlessly fall to the bottom of the bowl, where you can pick they out or throw them away when you are done eating the rest of the popcorn? This is not something I have ever given a moment of thought to, but then, I crack crab legs with my teeth, so maybe I wouldn’t notice the occasional stray kernel.

Sounds like you have rocks for teeth. Not everyone is so fortunate, though. For the most part, unpopped kernels do tend to migrate to the bottom of the bowl. But it takes only one unpopped kernel to get chomped on and cause mischief. So the fewer ‘old maids’ the better.

I notice that the times I’ve unexpectedly bitten into unpopped kernels it’s usually been in the first few handfuls before they’ve had a chance to fall to the bottom. Maybe I should invent and market a popcorn sifter. I’m feeling a late night infomercial coming on as we speak…

I do not believe I’ve ever encountered that meaning of hob before. Hobgoblin yes, hob, no. Despite the whole “being a linguist from the North of England” thing. Interesting. I shall treat my cooker with caution…

The Whirly Pop. My wife and I received one of those from the bank when we opened our first checking account some 35 years ago. Still using it. Being a lover of popcorn along with 3 children and all their friends over the years it has made a whole lot of popcorn. If I remember correctly it was “guaranteed for life” (except for the wooden parts).
I always figured it made better popcorn because the stirring action heated the kernels more evenly than shaking a pan. It does seem that once the corn starts popping it goes a lot faster than a shaking skillet.
Always wondered what I would do if it ever breaks down. Good to know they can still be acquired.

Isn’t “hob” one of the titles applied to Shakespeare’s Robin Goodfellow?

Large saucepan. A little cooking oil. Cover bottom with one layer of kernels. Cover. Turn on high. When first kernels pop start shaking. Don’t stop until popping dies down. It’ll just be about three minutes you have to stand there. Pour popcorn into large bowl. Melt butter in still-hot pan. Salt.

You do not need any equipment for popcorn other than what anyone has in their kitchen. I have no idea why people think otherwise. There ain’t no magic to popcorn.

I have a hot air popper my brother and SIL got me when I was 23 (1984). It still works. Best popcorn? Fresh kernels air popped, then drizzled with butter. Salt and pepper to taste. If you haven’t tried black pepper on popcorn, you really should!

I had an air popper as a kid, but I never liked air-popped popcorn as much as the stuff cooked in oil. I suppose if you add enough butter it’s okay, but mine always ended up tasting too much like cardboard, with the consistency of styrofoam.

In a side note, some of the old air-poppers are quite hard to find as they are useful for roasting coffee. Only the ones with the where the hot air enters the popcorn chamber from side though as the ones where it enters from the bottom will burn your house down.

I still use a bowl and a heat gun…

But if you have a West Bend Poppery II or a Popaire 2 that is still in good shape sell it before you trash it.

Jiffy Pop over an open fire! Nothin’ better.

If it wasn’t for the web site address printed on the carton, I would have thought that was vintage packaging.

I have a Whirly Pop (easier than trying to shake a pan on a glass cooktop) with metal gears instead of plastic, which break easily based on my experience. As far as popcorn varieties, I’ve found that purple and baby white are especially good.

If I’m just making some for my self I use a brown paper bag. Either pop it dry with a little real butter on it, or pop it with a bit of olive oil. I never use both oil and butter. Always use the fine ground Morton popcorn salt.

If I’m making it for more people I use Presto Power Pop. Can also use oil or just air.

We love black popcorn.

Is that the same as this piece of junk? The Joie sucks ass. It usually doesn’t pop corn for shit, leaving a slew of kernels, regardless if using oil or not. When it does pop correctly it doesn’t hold much and isn’t even enough for one serving. It’s supposed to double as it’s own bowl but gets hotter than a sonovabitch and is useless as such. After trying it a couple of times we threw it out.

Looks amazingly like a garbage can! :smiley:

Which is where it ended up!

I cannot impress upon you enough how hot that mofo got! Had to use over mitts on both hands and hot pads just to get it out of the microwave.

Then you’d open it up and there would be maybe 1 1/2 cups of popped corn in it, if that.

That’s the same packaging as when I worked at a movie theater in high school, nearly forty years ago. (eep) Of course, we used to get it in 50 pound boxes. I love the Whirly Pop but mostly use a microwave popper these days as I’m too lazy to stand at the stove.

I have a Lekue and it works great. There’s seldom more than a few unpopped kernels in the bottom, though it does get mighty hot and I wouldn’t try it as a serving bowl. I use Amish popcorn. My favorites are the purple kernels and the extra big caramel corn type. With Flavacol of course.

My new kitchen is almost finished. After looking at Whirley Pop and at Just Poppin’ I am overwhelmed with information.

I am trying to get away from microwave popcorn, what are the 4 or 5 essential things I need to get as close to theater like as possible?