Popular baby names. Pronouncing "George".

I love the name Paul…it’s my baby’s middle name. I always wonder why it’s relatively uncommon these days.

Looks like we have a winner. :smiley: I thought my username would give it away a bit, as it is a bizarre diminutive-based nickname.

Good call, Br’er Lapin. Are you a monk? :smiley: I’m reading Brother Odd.
Anyway,
I hoped that was it. Some posters here have way too wild imaginations.
I suspect drugs.
:smiley:

Can’t see it here (England & Wales) or here (Scotland) (PDF).

My name has never been all that popular. I was the only Eleanor in my grade, middle and high schools (HS had 3000 students). Supposedly it is more popular now, among the younger crowd (Kindergartenish). No idea.

My brother’s name, Carter–was unheard of in the 60s etc. I now know 2 Carters who are 9 years old.

My kids are Laura, Robert and John. I’m sure they’ll thank me later. (although Laura is in amongst a huge Lauren contigent.)

I’ve never heard George pronounced any way but “rhymes with forge”. Maybe I don’t get out much.

Jacob has been popular for over fifteen years now, so long before Jake Gyllenhaal surfaced. When I worked with 3-6 year olds back in 2001/2 there were 13 boys. 4 of them were named Jacob. 4 more also had names beginning with the letter “J” as well.

According to the thingumy linked to be Tool of the Conspiracy, Eleanor ranked no. 30 in the 1920s. It just fell out of fashion, and has come around full circle. Look at the top girls in the England & Wales 2007 rankings: Grace? Positively Victorian. Ruby, Lily, Millie, Daisy? Not long ago these were the names of aunts, not neices. (Eleanor gets into the top 50, and Ellie makes no. 13.)

I think that “pronounce” is the wrong term. It implies a difference that’s too strong.
Maybe “emphasis” is closer, or maybe they do it more when speaking to me.
Imagine Wallace, of Wallace and Gromit saying "George. That would be one example.
BTW; I love those guys. If you click the link, you get to watch a couple short vids.

Ah, that serves me right for listening to stuff on the television. No, the thing is that I may have phrased my post clumsily. This “Jakey” nonsense was NOT said to be a popular name, but was mentioned as an example of stupid or unusual names.

Or I am losing my marbles: that could also be true, actually. :slight_smile:

Re: the pronunciation of George

Are you talking about pronouncing the G more drawn out instead of the hard G sound. Kind of like the J in Jeanne (not pronounced like Gene or Jean but a French pronunciation or the Zs in Zsa Zsa?

Isla? Is her last name Langerhans? (just kidding…) Imogen? LAYLA? :eek:
I had only looked at the USA pink and blue thingy–and Eleanor is still a not so popular name (doesn’t bother me). A friend of mine in UK sent me a bunch of stickers, all with Eleanor on them (I could never get anything with my name on it like all the Lindas, Donnas, Terrys and Sues could), so I knew it was more popular over there. I like my name. It was somewhat offputting to be introduced to old people when I was younger and the more senile would say stuff like, “I knew an Eleanor growing up; she’s dead now.”, but overall, it’s been a good name…
:slight_smile:

My ex’s step mom’s name is Elnora. I haven’t looked it up yet, but I’m about to. Could be a related name. Could be just about anything. She’s from Oklahoma.

From the SSA’s website, linked above;

I told you so. :wink:
Not always obsessively formal, those Oklahomans.

It sounds like a variant of Eleanor. Nora, Elllie, Ellenor, Elinor, Elenore, Elanor…

But ONLY one is correct: Eleanor. As it is written, so shall it be done.
:slight_smile:

My father’s name. That’s how I’ve always heard it pronounced.

I hear it pronounced “Jawje” a lot. Like the word “jaw”, then a j sound. But I’m in Maine, home of the word-manglers.

But I think there was a popular Gene Stratton Porter heroine named Elnora, and people in Oklahoma do read a lot…

Apparently if “George” doesn’t have an e on the end it’s pronouced “Gay-Org.” (Cite: The Sound of Music)

Abagail was the #6 female name for 2006? Seriously?! What next, a resurgence in Prudence, Mabel, and Mildred?

Wow. My name was #832 last year, but in the 60s it was #8. Cool site.