Pork Shoulder Roast

Hey there. I’m going to be cooking a pork shoulder roast on Sunday, and am wondering if anyone has any cool ideas.

I have no BBQ equipment, so smoking etc is right out.

Usually I just put it in a dish, raised, with some chicken broth in the bottom of the dish and salt & pepper on the meat.

Anyone have any better ideas? I’m eager to wow my girlfriend.

actually if you like it flavored you could marinade it the night or a few hours before or put what ever the perfred sauce is before you put it in the oven

Also you could put some seasoning salt ect on it and put carrots potatoes ect any vegtetable you could bake with it also and bake it with the roast

If its small enough you could even slow cook it in various crock pots

Hope this helps

Pernil-- food of the (kinda chubby) Gods!

3 or 4 (or 5 or 6) garlic cloves, crushed.
Teaspoon of ground cumin
Lots of oregano
Palmful of fennel seed
plenty of salt and pepper (or Adobo or Sazon if you have it)
about a 1/4 cup of oil and 2 or 3 tablespoons of vinegar

Mix all of the above in a small bowl.

The shoulder should still have it’s skin. Stab that sucker up. The more and deeper, the better. Spoon the mix into the holes. It does taste better if you let it marinate, but it tastes fine if you don’t.

Put it in a 325 degree oven skin up (skin up is very important-- you’ll ruin the cuedo if you put it skin down) until it’s done. How long? I dunno, how big is your pig?

It’s tough to beat a pork roast. Usually we just stab it deep with a thin knife all over it, and stuff garlic cloves into the holes, salt and pepper it, and roast it up with taters, carrots and onions, covered, until the last 20 minutes when you crank up the heat, uncover, and let that fat layer crust up.

My other favorite is to cut it up into decent sized chunks, and layer it with onions and tomatoes in a crock pot, a few spices, toss some beer into it and let it rip. Drain it, and eat it as stewed pork with some side veggies, or shred it up for tacos and burritos, or mix it with some bbq sauce for some buns.

Pork and beef roasts always seem to come out best when you keep them simple.

That pernil sounds awfully good, but I was just reading a newspaper article about Hungarian food, so this dish got stuck in my mind…I plan on making it if we ever get any autumn weather around here.

SZEKELY GULYAS

3 pounds sauerkraut
3 tblsp buttermilk
1/2 cup sour cream
2 pounds shoulder of pork
1 cup chopped onions
3 tblsp oil
2 tsp salt
1 tblsp paprika
2 tsp caraway seed
Rinse the kraut and squeeze dry. Blend the buttermilk with the sour cream and set aside. Cut the meat into 1 inch cubes and pat dry.

In your stewpot or casserole, saute the onions in oil until transparent. Push them to one side and start browning the meat lightly on all sides, seasoning with the salt, paprika, and caraway. Remove the meat to a side dish. Pour 1/2 cup of water into the pan and deglaze. Put the meat back in and spread the kraut over it.

Pour in enough water to barely cover, put the lid on, and simmer 1 1/2 hours or until the meat and sauerkraut are tender. Add more water as needed to keep the gulyas barely covered with sauce. When done, remove from the heat and let cool. Mix a little sauce into the sour cream, then slowly stir the mixture back into the pot…taste and correct the seasoning, then bring back to a simmer.

Serve with boiled potatoes or some sort of potato dumpling.

Last week, I had a rather fatty pork sholder and made this with it:

GLAZED PORK ROAST:

1 5-6 pound pork shoulder or butt roast
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
3-5 cloves garlic, minced or put through a garlic press
2 tsp dry mustard or 3 tbsp prepared Dijon-style mustard
In a small nonreactive pan, melt the brown sugar and mustard together. You may need to add a small amount of water to make sure they melt and don’t burn. Add the garlic and stir 1-2 minutes. let cool.

Prepare the roast by trimming it of as much fat as you’d like ans tying it if necessary to make sure it’s uniform. Put it into a lightly oiled roasting pan and heat the oven to 250F.

Smear or spoon the glaze over the roast. You’ll want a light coating, reserve some back for basting. Every half hour or so, spoon some of the glaze over it or whenever it looks dry. Bake the roast at 250-300F for four hours or until a meat thermometer thrust into the thickest part of the roast reads 160-175 (160 being my preference, 175 generally agreed upon to be “Safe”).

Emeril just did one of these about a week ago that looked ravishing. It was a very simple recipe (copyright issues with posting complete recipes that don’t belong to me? It’s free on Food Network’s site).

1 (5-pound) pork shoulder, bone-in ,untrimmed and not tied
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 cup Creole seasoning
1/2 cup olive oil

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Season all sides of the pork with salt and pepper. Combine the Creole seasoning and olive oil in a small bowl to make a paste. Rub the paste all over the pork. Place the pork, fat side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Roast the pork for 30 minutes. Reduce the heat to 250 degrees F and continue to cook for 6 1/2 hours. Remove from the oven and cool completely. Remove the meat from the pan and using two forks, shred all of the meat.
I found another one I recall seeing where he made some amazing-looking sandwiches from a big ol’ pork butt. It’s a more complex recipe, if you’re interested in checking that out.

Get the best Kielbasa (Polish sausage) you can find.

Using a long knife, make 2 cuts as an ‘X’ through the center of the roast & stuff the Kielbassa into the roast (no snickering, please).

Then whatever else from above - the spicy sausage will flavor the roast from the inside out.

Cut into slices to serve - each slice has a bit of Kielbassa.