Porsche 911 992 Variant Unveiled

There is no option for “PORSCHE” brand delete on the rear, just model designation delete. You could remove it yourself as the letters are attached with simple adhesive.

Yup. I get it. Losing a few tenths to the PDK wouldn’t matter much to me either, especially over the visceral appeal of rowing your own gears, blasting out of the apex of a turn at full burn in 3rd gear with a shit-eating grin on my face on a warm Summer’s day…yeah.

Now I wish I could afford a Porsche!

:slight_smile:

You probably can: a 996. I paid just under $20k for mine.

Yes, I felt it should have a new IMS bearing and some other non-trivial preventive work (clutch, water pump, thermostat, etc.). But I was able to do all that myself, for moderate $ (and considerable time and effort).

The result is a fine car with impressive performance for the cost of a Toyota Corolla.

Hmmm… there used to be. And I’ve seen them out on the road. Maybe that option was changed.

I saw a 996 a few months ago, on Autotrader I believe, for $13K. $13K! For a 911! Even without the IMS and RMS fixed that seemed like a great bargain to me. Of course my wife said no. :slight_smile:

One of these days I hope to look for a 1979 to 1983 911SC, or a 1984 to 1985 911 Carrera. (I’d like it to be like the 911SC I used to have: White, sunroof, polished Fuchs wheels, no spoiler.) I just love the original body style. :cool:

Or a 986/987 Boxster. There was a 986 with a 3.4L 911 engine swapped in and all the usual updates done, asking $11k on Craigslist and it took the seller months to find a buyer. It was a heck of a deal in terms of performance per dollar. You can find stock Boxsters for under $10k pretty much anywhere.

That’s a beauty, and the white exterior color really works with it.

When I had it, a friend’s girlfriend (who hadn’t seen it) asked if it was red. Hell, no! Red or black is too clichéd. Silver, gold (bronze), and the lighter metallic blues are boring. Bright yellow is fantastic, but hard to find. White ‘just works’… and it symbolises the purity of my soul. :wink:

Right now on Auto Trader there’s a used 2000 911 Carrera Cabriolet, 111K miles, for $14,900: for sale in Sunnyvale, CA 94086: Details - - Autotrader

I never cared for the lines of the 911 cab. That stated, $14.9K seems like a great bargain.

Of course a mitigating factor is the CARFAX on this vehicle reports damage incurred in 2012 but doesn’t specify what the damage is, so…

Buyer beware.

Xema, and Onomatopoeia, you have no idea the “trouble” you’ve started…

About a month ago my wife got into a minor accident. No injuries, but her old car (2001 Jetta) was essentially totaled. We’ve been getting by with one car, not in a rush to replace it. We don’t count the 356 cabriolet, not the best thing to drive in rainy San Francisco winter weather. In the meantime, I set up Auto Trader searches to look at old 911s, just for kicks really. And in the meantime, she also was thinking she’d wait for the Mini-E electric car to come out. She was thinking of going electric.

So today I tell her that I’ve figured out what her next car needs to be, an old 996. And she actually liked the idea! So we’re considering this, it’s not quite serious yet but I think this idea is growing on her.

Yeah! :smiley:

Heh. Glad to be of service. :slight_smile:

Below are photos of my old 2004 986 just before I traded it in to Tesla in 2016. After concluding their inspection, they offered me $19,600 which, at the time, I thought was a low-ball offer, considering I purchased it for $56K new but, in retrospect, I realized I got a good deal.

Imgur
Imgur

Interior

Imgur
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur

I kept it clean and in excellent condition, always hand-washed, never had food or beverages in it, and had complete service records.

I even did some modifications myself over the years:

– Installed B&M Short Shifter (a pain to install but I did it)
– Purchased body-colored removable hard top
– Installed body-colored rear bumpers, replacing stock black (from BumperPlugs)
– Installed body-colored center console, replacing stock dark grey (from BumperPlugs)
– Changed black ignition rosette for body-colored one (from BumperPlugs)
– Installed clear side marker lights (replaced stock amber lights)
– Added chrome 986 logo on lower console (batwing)
– Added chrome Porsche logo on glove box
– Installed spoiler raise/lower switch in dash
– Replaced old “PORSCHE” black-colored lettering with larger chrome-colored letters on rear
– Replaced old “Boxster” black-colored lettering with larger chrome-colored logo on rear
– Installed convertible top raise/lower bypass switch, allowing the top to be raised or lowered while driving

Other upgrades I had done but did not do myself:

– Litronic self-leveling headlamps
– Colored Porsche wheel crests (replaced standard monochrome crests)
– Upgraded the PCM software to version 3.0 to allow the use of updated navigation maps, and changing the navigation screen from a monochromatic amber to full color
– Had speakers installed in the rear compartment behind the seats to provide surround sound and enhance the audio from the entertainment system.

I loved that car and should never have sold it. It only had approximately 37K miles when I traded it, and ran like a top.

Now that I am older and much more comfortable financially, the new 992 is calling my name. :slight_smile: The good thing is I should get a good trade-in deal on my Tesla. We shall see.

Beautiful Boxster. You added some nice touches. Someone is out there enjoying it!

Any idea when the MT will come out for the 992? And are you definitely waiting for that/

Yep, I am definitely waiting for the manual transmission. Latest news I have is it will be available in the Fall of 2019.

A manual transmission should be a lot of fun in that car!

Yep, I am sure it will be.

I cannot imagine my settling for the PDK, regardless how efficient it is. It is simply not as fun for me as driving a stick and heel-toeing through the twisties. :slight_smile:

My 911SC had a manual transmission (of course). My MGB has a manual transmission. Mrs. L.A.'s Tacoma has a manual transmission. Sure, the paddles might be better if you’re racing; but I don’t race. Standard transmissions are fun.

Yeah, I don’t track my cars either. Down with the paddles! :slight_smile: