port 25

Ok, I want to be able to telnet into an address and get in port 25. I’ve done this to some sites, but when I try and send myself an email, it says it can’t relay it because my ip address is possibly forged. I’m on a university LAN so my IP is dynamic. Is there any way I can send an annonymous email to myself if I have a dynamic IP? Where can I find other places to telnet into? I only know a few addresses.

Any mail server that allows you to do this is called an open relay. Open relays are the primary obfuscation mechanism used by spammers (since they can send mail through open relays without their service provider noticing) and because of this network admins are strongly encouraged to configure their mail servers so as not to allow it. That’s why they’re in short supply.

To expand on Bobort’s post, properly configured mail servers will only accept outgoing mail from an IP on the same network as the mail server. The mail server at my school, for example, will only accept outgoing mail from an IP that is part of the school LAN.

I’ve had to deal with having an open relay mail server that a spammer discovered. It wasn’t fun.

One has to wonder why you are looking for a server that you can telnet into and send yourself(?) some email. Especially after asking about port sniffers

and c plus plus question

This isn’t a very good place to try to learn to be a hacker or a spammer.

Jim

Although most of my questions may seem to be about hacker-topics I would like you to know that my questions are merely for a educational value. I’ve just started college and I’m interested in majoring in System’s analysis. I’m really into programming, but have little experience in networks and the such. Most of this “hacker” stuff doesn’t really make sense to me and so I ask questions. If I try anything a bit “hackerish” it’s going to be on myself and just to see how it works. I’ve been told this is the easiest and best way to learn. Right now I’m thinking about being a system’s administrator, if I don’t learn the in’s and out’s of system, I don’t think I’ll do a very good job. I can read about this stuff all day, but if I don’t try any of it, I’ll never learn anything. Right? I guess all you can really do is trust me on this one. But I have no intention of any malicious activities. Thanks for the concern though. If you know any better ways to learn, please feel free to share.

There is, or used to be, a newsgroup about tracking down spammers. I think it was N.A.N.A., News Announce Net Abuse. You might try them.

Your explanation is fine with me, however I think you should understand that telling you how to find open relay mail servers is not a very good thing to be doing on this message board. Nor is telling you how to write a port sniffer program or log ping responses in C++. If I’m not mistaken, the entire Windows operating system is written in C++. So, if you are into programming, it should be obvious that you can do almost anything that a PC is capable of with C++.

I’m sure if you looked around you’d find sites that would be happy to tell you that kind of stuff. If your questions are purely academic, I think you would agree that not everyone that has the capability of reading the responses to these types of questions are as above board as you are.

Sorry, if I misread the intent of your line of questions.

Jim

I do sympathise with you, cykrider. In the waaaaay back Dream-Time of the Net, when I was a younger lady, I tried to learn about all the same things you are, and even asked alarmingly similar questions.

It is hard to get answers to them. One thing that helped a lot was getting involved in the FreeBSD/Linux community, since they are all open-source knowledge-sharing, and very open to discussing topics like port sniffers and mail spoofing, mainly because they look for ways to prevent unauthorized use of such tactics.

This may be off-topic, but consider hanging out around there. Also think about setting up an old 486 or Pentium box as a Linux machine. You could learn a lot about the subjects you are interested in, and even be learning a skill which will convert to $$$ when you look for an IT job.

Please understand that while we’re all for the eradication of Ignorance, some topics are best left unexplored, at least on this board.

There’s any number of places where this information can be found, both online and in reference material.

Just my opinion here, but it also sounds like you’re trying to run before you can walk; that is, you’re attempting to find out about what interests you without having the underlying technological understanding that education brings. Get a good grounding first, learn the system basics, then all of this will make much more sense to you and you’ll not only get it but retain it and be able to use it.

Even though your motives may be entirely benign, keep in mind that most people you encounter in cyberspace have had bad experiences with hackers/crackers/cyberjerks and anything that even smacks of that sort of mentality tends to get a negative response.

your humble TubaDiva
Adminstrator

Thanks again for the concern. Actually Tuba that’s kind of what I’m trying to is get some basics, but every now and then I come across something that, like in this case, is thrown in with the rest of the “basics” and so it throws me off. I’ll watch what I post from now on. Since this thread I’ve run by google.com and found some other sites that are pretty helpful. I thank the SDMB for pointing me in the right directiong though…which is kinda what I wanted in the first place. Thanks guys.

I am almost positive this has been asked before. It should have anyway. I searched for “port address” in GQ and got back over 1600 threads. None of the first dozen or so were promising…

Anyway, what are the ports doing exactly? AOL Instant Messenger will not work on the proxied network I have at work. But I have found that if I change the port setting really low, like 25, it will work.

Then, if I use a dial-up connection later, or plug back into my cable modem at home (we are talking a laptop here) I have to change the port setting back to 1000. It wont work at 25. Why is this?

Goddamn I am a retard… ignore this. And I apologize to whomever’s thread I just bumped to page two.

BTW, the fact that this thread talks about Port 25 and I also used port 25 to connect to AOL IM, is merely a coincidence. But a strange one at that… is there something special about port 25 that I did not realize?

Bear_Nenno, I’m crossposting this to your thread also.

No. The something special is AIM’s login server (oscar). It listens on pretty much every commonly used port, specifically to make it easier for people to connect through firewalls.

5190 is the default AIM port, but it also listens on:
13: daytime
20: ftp data
21: ftp
23: telnet
25: sendmail
37: time
53: DNS
69, dudes!
70: gopher
79: finger
80: http
88: kerberos
110: pop3
113: authentication
119: nntp (USENET)
123: ntp (network time protocol)
137: netbios
8080: https

and a whole mess of other ones. Basically, they set it up to make it as easy to connect as possible, which is a Good Thing®.

A port is just an extension of your computer’s address. The IP tells data how to find the computer, and the port tells the data what service it needs to go to once it reaches that computer (sort of like the apartment number, vs. the street address). Port 25 is the address of the Unix Sendmail program, which is the mail relaying agent.

Hope I’ve been helpful.