Portable Air Conditioner

I need a portable air conditioner. I realize these probably suck compared to normal window units, but I can’t have a window unit in this room.

The room is ~11’x12’. I’m willing to have to empty a water reservoir now and then, so long as it isn’t too frequent.

I have never purchased an air conditioner before, so I don’t really know what to look for. I’ve looked at some reviews online, but I’m having trouble telling the difference between brands and models. Do any of you have portable air conditioners? What do you recommend?

I set up one of these Danby Sillhouette portable air conditioners last week. It was about $550 CDN at a chain drug store, so I imagine it could be had cheaper if you shopped around.

It’s reasonably quiet, and keeps a 12’ X 15’ room feeling like a walk-in cooler. Much better than expected, actually. Its footprint is about 13" square.

It beats the pants off the little window unit in another room in the house – though to be fair that one is just little $299 Panasonic jobbie that seems to work marginally better than a solar-powered fan.

I don’t have a lot of knowledge or basis for comparison, but I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend the Danby portable units.

The only thing you want to make sure of is that your window in that room is at least 17".